Is Wilmington taking advantage of its location

NcSc74

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the topic of how Wilmington lost its prominence in the 20th century. A couple of factors that have been overlooked: The Atlantic Coastline Railroad was dominant in Wilmington until its departure in the early 1960's. What is little known to newcomers is that the management of that company had an enormous amount of political control in the area and kept a lot of things out, as did certain wealthy families who were large landowners in the area. We also cannot overlook the fact that most Wilmingtonians did not want growth to happen, but preferred to keep things as they were.

I grew up in Wilmington but live in New Jersey now. Recently I took a trip down and flew into ILM (haven't flown into Wilmington in at least 10 years). Glancing out the aircraft window I was surprised at all the development I saw. I didn't recognize the place and had no idea where I was...I thought maybe we'd taken a detour to Richmond. I wasn't able to get my bearings until I saw Independence Mall :). What a beautiful airport! I love the rocking chairs in the luggage claim area.

There is an enormous amount of potential in the area, and from the looks of things it is starting to get tapped.

Archived