Americans and the Greed Factor

Lowerdeck

In response to the education question, there are plenty of state schools that are very affordable. If you had a full time job in the summer and a part time job in during the school year making 8 to 10 bucks an hour… (which is very possible in even in Michigan), you could pay your way through school. I just finished my Masters Degree, which I paid for out of pocket while working full time as a city planner. During those 2 years, I paid off most of my remaining debt from when I was younger, (and stupid), and still had a phenomenal social life. Granted I was not out spending 200 bucks in a bar every weekend and was packing my own lunch instead of going out, but don’t tell me it can’t be done, because I have done it.

As for the emergencies… until we are debt free (other than our condo) we are keeping the $1,000 emergency fund. Both my fianc

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I would choose "pursuing happiness," but to me, that entails traveling around the states, attending events, hiking in naturalized areas and wildernesses, and seeing many parts of the state that many never venture to. I enjoy exploring the backroads, writing and photographing them, but this comes at a cost. My monthly gasoline bills come in around $120, and it is always nice to have upgraded camera equipment. Currently, I am saving up for a new variable macro lens to replace my macro filters (sharpness factor), and a telephoto for cityscapes. I don't aim for cheap lens, as quality glass is of upmost importance to me, and they can carry a hefty price tag.

But I don't envy a new Mercedes-Benz or Land Rover. I am happily content with my Toyota RAV4. I also don't desire a big house with a yard; I'm perfectly happy in an efficiency in a high-rise (although a larger kitchen would be nice). And etc.

Archived