Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

That blue isn't the final color.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but i believe the blue portion will be covered by some metallic panels.  

Good! I knew that couldn't possibly be the finished product; but the more time went by without it changing, the less I thought it would.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SentioVenia said:

Is that the Firebird casting her spell?

No he said it was the 400 South Tryon white building with the thin gold windows making the gold reflection. That is why I like some variety in glass colors and I know blue is the standard but  some of these older buildings are nice too. 

• Like 3

Don't want to hijack but,

Throughout my travels I have seen a lot of skylines and I have developed a preference for the "pyramid" styled skyline.  The traditional skyline with large buildings grouped together and then height slowly falling to mid rise on the fringes.  I am not saying Charlotte does not have an impactful skyline.  She does simply because there enough buildings to hold your eye.  However, I do wonder how much of a difference street level wise if the Wachovia side of town was closer to the BoA side of town.  In other words take out the gaps.  Thoughts?

I check this thread every day.  I like to see the progress and impacts new buildings have in the photos.  Keep it up.

1 hour ago, NcSc74 said:

Throughout my travels I have seen a lot of skylines and I have developed a preference for the "pyramid" styled skyline.  The traditional skyline with large buildings grouped together and then height slowly falling to mid rise on the fringes.  I am not saying Charlotte does not have an impactful skyline.  She does simply because there enough buildings to hold your eye.  However, I do wonder how much of a difference street level wise if the Wachovia side of town was closer to the BoA side of town.  In other words take out the gaps.  Thoughts?

I check this thread every day.  I like to see the progress and impacts new buildings have in the photos.  Keep it up.

Agrees. I had always hoped Charlotte's skyline would stay/grow that way before DEC. I still love it now, but now it's more important than ever to keep DEC and BoA as the two tallest.

If we can, then we're cultivating what I call the "Soccer Goal" Skyline... two peak points on either end, with tapering towers on either side of them.

• Like 1

Just think what Atlanta would look like if it wasn't so stretched out!  Bring those buildings closer (even from Buckhead) down to mid-town and the ATL would have a killer skyline.  Charlotte kind of takes a cue from them and concentrates almost everything along Tryon.  Not much branches out on Trade or any of the numbered north/south streets.  I would LOVE to see the skyline crisscross all of the four wards!

You can definitely get this pyramid view from the Matheson bridge in Noda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In downtown Jacksonville today (sorry not Charlotte related) but the 2 tallest buildings in JAX are Bank of America Center one with the pyramid on top (soon we will have one) and the 2nd tallest building is the Wells Fargo Center.   Can you imagine Charlotte's skyline on a river like this? 

DSCN9897.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In downtown Jacksonville today (sorry not Charlotte related) but the 2 tallest buildings in JAX are Bank of America Center one with the pyramid on top (soon we will have one) and the 2nd tallest building is the Wells Fargo Center.   Can you imagine Charlotte's skyline on a river like this? 
DSCN9897.thumb.JPG.3e89dc5f81764b05166b54641e412c95.JPG

That shot shows the plainness of their old skyline. It's their many bridges that go between that and their new skyline across the river that really make Jacksonville beautiful.

Even though it doesn't have great height, I've always loved Jax's skyline due to the almost competitive view of the two sides of St John's River. Even though that river is (at least) ten times as wide as 277, Uptown still feels just about as divided as their Downtown.

I say Charlotte floods below-grade-277 and we can add gondolas as another form of public transportation.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AuLukey said:

That shot shows the plainness of their old skyline. It's their many bridges that go between that and their new skyline across the river that really make Jacksonville beautiful.

Even though it doesn't have great height, I've always loved Jax's skyline due to the almost competitive view of the two sides of St John's River. Even though that river is (at least) ten times as wide as 277, Uptown still feels just about as divided as their Downtown.

I say Charlotte floods below-grade-277 and we can add gondolas as another form of public transportation.

Jacksonville's downtown has potential, but with the exception of a few very small pockets its street level experience is pretty bad. I would go out on a limb here and say it is considerably worse than here.

• Like 1