Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

It's not the trees, It's the topography of the Charlotte area. Charlotte topography is very weird and not consistent. Charlotte is the highest point in the area (When Charlotte was first settled, The citizens traveled up to downtown since it was the highest point, So therefore they called it Uptown). If Charlotte were more flat and not so hilly you would be able to see the skyline in more spots than you are able to now. 

34 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

It's not the trees, It's the topography of the Charlotte area. Charlotte topography is very weird and not consistent. Charlotte is the highest point in the area (When Charlotte was first settled, The citizens traveled up to downtown since it was the highest point, So therefore they called it Uptown). If Charlotte were more flat and not so hilly you would be able to see the skyline in more spots than you are able to now. 

You have to admit Charlotte does have a large tree canopy. I think the tree canopy is even bigger than other cities, like Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Raleigh.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

You have to admit Charlotte does have a large tree canopy. I think the tree canopy is even bigger than other cities, like Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Raleigh.

I do agree Charlotte does have a large tree canopy, But the topography also plays a factor in where you can and can't see the skyline.

Excerpt from post by @Cadi40on 11/06/2017:  "But the topography also plays a factor in where you can and can't see the skyline."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

To the extent that hilliness and view planes may be related to elevation, following are the elevations of various Tar Heel cities: 

(1) Charlotte, 751 ft., 229 meters;

(2) Raleigh, 315 ft., 96 m;

(3) Greensboro, 897 ft., 272 m;

(4) Durham, 404 ft., 123 m;

(5) Winston-Salem, 970 ft., 300 m;

(6) Fayetteville, 263 ft., 80 m;

(7) Wilmington, 30 ft., 9 m;

(8) Greenville, 56 ft., 17 m;

(9) Asheville, 2,134 ft. , 650 m; and

(10) Boone, 3,333 ft., 1,016 m.

Photo of Boone:  Link at:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boone,_North_Carolina

240px-Boone_NC_-_aerial.jpg

Edited by QCxpat
typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Excerpt from post by @Cadi40on 11/06/2017:  "But the topography also plays a factor in where you can and can't see the skyline."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

To the extent that hilliness and view planes may be related to elevation, following are the elevations of various Tar Heel cities: 

I understand. Elevation and Topography go hand in hand, Topography is more specific and Elevation is in a General area. Charlotte is very hilly.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

I understand. Elevation and Topography go hand in hand, Topography is more specific and Elevation is in a General area. Charlotte is very hilly.

I personally think of Charlotte as not hilly at all. I think of Raleigh as pretty damn hilly.

Here is a study. That I'm going to read to see lol.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Crystal_Kolden/publication/281672365_The_Hilliness_of_US_Cities/links/59fe25260f7e9b9968c3ce48/The-Hilliness-of-US-Cities.pdf

Edited by Guest

Raleigh is more hillier in my opinion due its location on the fall line east of Raleigh gets very flat but through Raleigh and west to Durham and Chapel Hill much more rolling.  Charlotte is rolling more out of town.  You want rolling hills go to Atlanta the northern suburbs are very hilly and that is why everyone has basements there.   Charlotte has very gentle rolls through out the county.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Raleigh is more hillier in my opinion due its location on the fall line east of Raleigh gets very flat but through Raleigh and west to Durham and Chapel Hill much more rolling.  Charlotte is rolling more out of town.  You want rolling hills go to Atlanta the northern suburbs are very hilly and that is why everyone has basements there.   Charlotte has very gentle rolls through out the county.  

The University Area is quite hilly, I delivered food up there and nearly every apartment complex, including my own, requires some serious grading, or has a "0" level (two apartments on the backside of the building, below grade) as well as retaining walls, etc. Unlike, for example, Southend where minimal grading is necessary.

• Like 3

Some places earn their name. High Point, NC altitude-1007 feet

It was a railroad high point. Downhill from there, both ways, is how I heard the story.

On 11/7/2017 at 12:40 PM, QCxpat said:

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is a great shot of uptown Charlotte from Clear Sky Images.  I love their work.  http://photos.clearskyimages.com/2017-10-charlotte-nc-helicopter-aerials/e9c4d7d93

It really shows how much glass there is in the BofA Center, its built to give the illusion of being solid stone, but if the sun hits it right you can definitely see how much the windows take up.

• Like 1