Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

2 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

No!  That kind of thinking is what has led Charlotte to have this reputation as sterile and soulless.  The Diehl building could EASILY be turned into a jewel.  Put some shutters on the windows, add some awnings, some gaslamp-style lights, and paint it two or three interesting colors, including a different color for the windowsills, maybe some box planters under the windows, and it could be charming and a stunner with little investment required.  All it takes is a little bit of vision and some TLC.

I feel like that works for houses, not buildings. To each his own...

It’s bland and worthy of demolition for a superior structure to replace it, in my opinion. We’re all entitled to our own opinion.

Yeah, the Diehl building was sterilized with grey paint by the law firm after being a gorgeous, red brick structure when it was the swe'd store. It could have been so many different things as a third life.

I argue the only reason folks are happy to see it go is because of that, and the fact that it's inside the 277 loop.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JacksonH said:

No, not at all.  Buildings that are treated and fixed up like home are inviting.  People want to be there.  I've lived outside of Charlotte for many years, in cities where they do this sort of thing in commercial areas.  It works.  Those kinds of neighborhoods are full of vibrancy.  Charlotte is aching for this sort of resurrection of its neglected old buildings, and tragically there are so few left.  It kills me when I visit there and see its history being erased.

old 14ef34788c748801406a675dacd46c92--winter-window-boxes-garden-totems.jpg

old town  star.jpg

OldTown   hotel-indigo-alexandria-4619918117-2x1.jpg

@JacksonH   Welcome to Charlotte UP!  Great post, nice photos.  These buildings are really handsome, and I wish they were all in Charlotte, but I doubt if they are.  Perhaps they're in Raleigh's historic Warehouse District or, maybe, Wilmington's Riverfront -- Dunno?  These buildings have great curb appeal, and are suffused with Old World charm and character.   Would help if you could Identify the locations of the photos so we'll know what city / town is depicted.  Thanks a lot, and welcome to UP.

Edited by QCxpat
Unsure of location(s) of these handsome buildings
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

The last one is Wilmington, Dont know about the others.

Nope, that's actually Alexandria VA, Old Town to be exact.   The restaurant on the far left is Bugsy's Pizza,   Also, if you google the Fish Market Alexandria VA, one of the first pics on google is the one JacksonH posted.  It does resemble parts of Wilmington though. 

Edited by jtmonk
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, nakers2 said:

However, unlike NYC, Charlotte has had, and still has PLENTY of room to build new, and maintain the old. 

While I love the new residential high-rise and mid-rise buildings going up in Charlotte, contemporary drone videos clearly show that nearly 1/4 of Center City Charlotte basically consists of surface parking lots and decks.

In 1941, W.J. Cash who worked as a journalist for The Observer and lived at the Frederick Apartments at 515 North Church Street, said of skyscrapers that Charlotte had "little more use for them than a hog has for a morning coat."  See  W.J. Cash, The Mind of the South (New York: Vintage Books, 1969), p. 224.  The book was originally published in 1941.   Plus ça change.

image.jpeg.a094a5c2ed9c168686a7cecdf1e5fc45.jpeg

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, QCxpat said:

While I love the new residential high-rise and mid-rise buildings going up in Charlotte, contemporary drone videos clearly show that nearly 1/4 of Center City Charlotte basically consists of surface parking lots and decks.

In 1941, W.J. Cash who worked as a journalist for The Observer and lived at the Frederick Apartments at 515 North Church Street, said of skyscrapers that Charlotte had "little more use for them than a hog has for a morning coat."  See  W.J. Cash, The Mind of the South (New York: Vintage Books, 1969), p. 224.  The book was originally published in 1941.   Plus ça change.

image.jpeg.a094a5c2ed9c168686a7cecdf1e5fc45.jpeg

Exactly, can you imagine how massive our Uptown district would be if we had all this new construction in addition to the old? Frankly the main core of density Uptown for the longest time was Tryon Street, even just maintaining the legacy frontage along the main boulevard, and expanding new construction outward would result in one of the most interesting main drags in the country. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Exactly, can you imagine how massive our Uptown district would be if we had all this new construction in addition to the old? Frankly the main core of density Uptown for the longest time was Tryon Street, even just maintaining the legacy frontage along the main boulevard, and expanding new construction outward would result in one of the most interesting main drags in the country. 

and if we had kept and grown the original streetcar system too!!!! gosh, that'd be beautiful

Not the best photo but all I could capture with my phone. After the rains stop, the sun briefly popped out and left a glow on uptown.  Rainbow was off to the right but I dont think you can see it in this photo from South Blvd.   Hopefully someone else got a photo of the glow tonight on the uptown skyline.  It was brief. 

RainysunsetCLT.jpg

• Like 4