Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

@QCxpat It's amazing what the government used to get away with doing back then. I will say though that there is some justification to part of it. The brooklyn village area was supposedly rife with crime and was closer to what we'd consider a genuine slum today rather than a poor neighborhood.  So in theory, it was a good thing. The reasoning they gave for it could have actually helped the community if they had went back and built some low-income housing to replace these slums instead of simply pushing them out of the area completely in favor of these monolith government facilities, a "park," and surface lots.

56 minutes ago, JBS said:

It's not bad at all really...it just belongs in Ballantyne.  It's a crime that it was built next to our convention center.

It's a true shame that something so bland and short is ag such a prime location. This lot could have been perfect for a thousand room hotel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Nick2 said:

@QCxpat It's amazing what the government used to get away with doing back then. I will say though that there is some justification to part of it. The brooklyn village area was supposedly rife with crime and was closer to what we'd consider a genuine slum today rather than a poor neighborhood.  So in theory, it was a good thing. The reasoning they gave for it could have actually helped the community if they had went back and built some low-income housing to replace these slums instead of simply pushing them out of the area completely in favor of these monolith government facilities, a "park," and surface lots.

It's a true shame that something so bland and short is ag such a prime location. This lot could have been perfect for a thousand room hotel. 

I think that within 20 years, it will be razed and replaced with a much taller tower.  Since it’s a hotel, it can be emptied at will and redeveloped easily.

It’s a decent place holder for now.

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Couple photos on my stroll through Uptown today and I still love the SpringHill Suites hotel, Charlotte's own flatiron building.  The Bechtler is my favorite public use building in the QC.  My favorite parking garage the BofA owned Seventh St Station. 

IMG_6666.JPG

My favorite parking deck is actually tied between 5 buildings. Avenue, Hearst, Interstate, One Wells Fargo and The former AT&T Building. Why are they my favorite? Because you would never know they had parking decks.

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Captured this shot on 77 southbound of the skyline today compare it to one from the KJ's Vault of old photos of one I took going northbound on 77 in the early 80s.  

Notice how prominent the Duke Power Bldg was in the old photo, now you can't see it luckily.   Honestly it doesn't even look like the same city! 

IMG_6785.JPG

FullSizeR(2) (1).jpg

30 years of shooting photos while driving. Stay safe out there buddy.