Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

Montaldo's. Two sisters started the business for better (wealthier) Southern women. Clothing and accessories.

Per my wife: LARGE spray of flowers inside front entrance. Mannequins artfully dressed in several locations. Clothing along the walls hung in sections that resembled closets. Definitely no racks across the floor. Generous open space.  Shoe department had a several sets of 3-4 leather upholstered "French Slipper" chairs. (no, I have no idea what that means. I am just typing). Her quote:  "It gave me the feeling of being defensive and unprepared". "It was the only place to buy Bass Weejuns" (those are shoes).

(One finds this quality content nowhere else.)

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Man, when the Federal Courthouse opens this view will be completely walled in.

Out of frame, but not to be forgotten, 401 S. Graham will help enclose the field.

It’s gotta be only a matter of time before someone snatches up that lot in between BB&T Park and the Ascent. That’s the missing piece for Romare Bearden being enclosed.

It’d be quite the disappointment if it ended up being some 6-story BS like the Circa apartments.

15 hours ago, JoshuaDrown said:

Opening Day... always makes me happy to walk to baseball. 

F4678BDE-3D8E-46D4-9C70-3E08C399EB74.thumb.jpeg.cb753e34318a0746353ab422c9e1869f.jpeg

Someone should create an animation/gif of this same view for each year the stadium has been open.  The skyline has changed a really impressive amount in the past few years!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunted said:

Out of frame, but not to be forgotten, 401 S. Graham will help enclose the field.

It’s gotta be only a matter of time before someone snatches up that lot in between BB&T Park and the Ascent. That’s the missing piece for Romare Bearden being enclosed.

It’d be quite the disappointment if it ended up being some 6-story BS like the Circa apartments.

I've been wondering the same thing for years.  And when I saw where 401 S. Graham chose to build, I was perplexed for a bit bc I thought something like that would be great in the lot that you're talking about...especially with the residential aspect of it...would fit well at Romare.  However, from the outfield, 401 SG will have some good height to it and really feel engulfed by the skyline.  Just wish Mint and Circa had some more height and some announcement for the grassy plot in left field. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 3:47 PM, KJHburg said:

^^^Yes on East Blvd.  

After visiting a booming San Antonio that is growing as fast as Charlotte they do not have anything like the construction we have in our uptown or close in neighborhoods like South End or NoDa. Not even close.  Sometimes you dont appreciate how fast Charlotte's central city is growing until you go somewhere else.   Today. 

I was in San Antonio a couple months ago and, frankly, I'm surprised at your comment.  What San Antonio does have is the River Walk, which far exceeded my expectations.  It's something completely unique to San Antonio, and between the Spanish colonial architecture, Mexican music, and certain Venice-type canal ambiance, you feel like you're in another country.  There's a River Walk loop within downtown that's more than two miles long, full of shops, restaurants, bars, music, charming below-street-level buildings, and lots of happy people.  The entire River Walk extends more than 15 miles.  And outside of the River Walk there are many blocks of early 20th century high-rises and skyscrapers -- art deco and Spanish colonial architecture.  Frankly, I'd take that over the modern glass and steel skyscrapers that are all beginning to look the same to me.  (San Antonio seems to be allowing their rapid growth not to hinder their old historic areas.  Downtown is overflowing with character.)  And, of course, the Alamo is also in downtown San Antonio.  And much more to visit and see outside of downtown.  I was in town on a short business trip, but I really wanted to stay awhile.   The only negative I could see (but didn't not personally experience) is what I imagine is a blistering hot summer.