Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

And when the chamber is torn down to build an 800 ft tower for Sun Bank and Trust, that will be quite prominent too. The new HQ tower will help balance the skyline as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You better pray that doesn’t happen. A 800 ft office tower would almost absolutely have to gobble up Latta Arcade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there really a plan to raze the Chamber of Commerce ?  It would be nice if the garage next door comes down too.

No. But they would explore razing the deck. Not the office. The deck is the size of catalyst so I’d expect residential or hotel

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Ur best pic yet.

Coincidentally, his most acute angle yet.

Seriously, all jokes aside, can we get an explanation on the crooked pics? If I ever come off as being harshly sarcastic, I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk. I joke a lot, but it can easily get taken the wrong way. I'm beyond curious at this point as to why all of your pics are crooked, @SpiritOf76.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Maybe they could add a slender tower there razing the deck and building. That'd give an insane canyon effect to the latta arcade.

Not sure how this subject  got into the photo of the day thread, but I'll play along.

The building in question was originally the Mutual Savings & Loan Building, with Mutual occupying the ground floor.  Later, the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce took the first floor.   For many years earlier, the Charlotte City Club was on the 2nd and 3rd floors.  Word was it was chosen as "neutral teritory," with many influential members being associated with the two big Charlotte banks of that time, NCNB and First Union. 

Fast-forward to the present.  It's an obvious tear-down.  Nobody's going to shell out 30 large for a building of that size in order to renovate it.  I suspect they're thinking bigger, as in buying the Latta Arcade and Brevard Court, and tearing them down, too.  This would be met with a great deal of caterwauling from the preservationists, but the Latta Arcade is in pretty rough shape, and is sitting on too valuable a site for such a small structure.  They could win a lot of public relations points by then building a larger two- or three-story retail arcade running the length of the block from Tryon to Church, with an office tower on top of it, and two or three levels of underground parking below it.

South Tryon is a coveted address.  Make no small plans for this site. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

Not sure how this subject  got into the photo of the day thread, but I'll play along.

The building in question was originally the Mutual Savings & Loan Building, with Mutual occupying the ground floor.  Later, the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce took the first floor.   For many years earlier, the Charlotte City Club was on the 2nd and 3rd floors.  Word was it was chosen as "neutral teritory," with many influential members being associated with the two big Charlotte banks of that time, NCNB and First Union. 

Fast-forward to the present.  It's an obvious tear-down.  Nobody's going to shell out 30 large for a building of that size in order to renovate it.  I suspect they're thinking bigger, as in buying the Latta Arcade and Brevard Court, and tearing them down, too.  This would be met with a great deal of caterwauling from the preservationists, but the Latta Arcade is in pretty rough shape, and is sitting on too valuable a site for such a small structure.  They could win a lot of public relations points by then building a larger two- or three-story retail arcade running the length of the block from Tryon to Church, with an office tower on top of it, and two or three levels of underground parking below it.

South Tryon is a coveted address.  Make no small plans for this site. 

The latta arcade and Brevard court have two different owners than who bought 330 South Tryon. And the latta arcade is on the national registry of historic places. I think that means it can't be torn down (but I honestly don't know how much clout being on that list carries).

• Like 1