Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Watching this TNT coverage of All Star weekend here in Charlotte and there are many many great skyline shots including close ups of many uptown buildings we all know.  Included was a bunch of bees flying out of the circular ramps at the City Center Green garage behind the arena.   Weather is holding up too no rain just cold and cloudy but should be good for the after event parties tonight.  

We keep hearing a helicopter above us in Midwood 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

TNT had some fantastic angles of Uptown and in my opinion did the best respresenting the City. After the game they had a party at the Music factory with some musicians performing. If Charlotte wasn’t put on the map before, it is now. They made it very well known that it was Charlotte, North Carolina, not Charlottesville or Charleston. By the way there have been numerous celebrity sightings, most of which have been staying at Iveys, The Omni or The Ritz-Carlton. 

For Charlotte to really be on the map nationally, it needs to host a Super Bowl.  To be on the map internationally, it needs to host the World Cup or the Olympics.  As for TNT, I wasn't too impressed with how they represented Charlotte compared to ESPN.  It was so quick.  In most shots I saw today TNT only showed a small portion of the skyline.  There were only a couple times when they showed the full skyline, but it was just a quick flash on the screen.  If you blinked you missed it.  It was almost like they didn't really want the viewers to see it.  Which reminds me, aren't they based in Atlanta?  <_<

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hunted said:

^ I honestly don't think a 1,000+ ft building towards the end of the skyline would be ill-fitting or make it look disproportionate or unbalanced. That'd be a cool spot for one.

But what is everybody's obsession with everything being built on the south side of Uptown....I get this one, but the north side gets no mockups, predictions, or even attention. I think there are enough mega towers in that section. 

Edited by j-man

13 minutes ago, j-man said:

But what is everybody'e obsession with everything being built on the south side of Uptown....I get this one, but the north side gets no mockups, predictions, or even attention. I think there are enough mega towers in that section. 

Because none of the large corporations that are in Charlotte that could justify building a tall tower have shown interest in locating on North Tryon. Even Bank of America, who has the largest corporate presence on that side of town, wanted to get a building on the southern portion of Uptown.

The "prediction" for the north side of town is some average size towers at Spirit Square and the Lennar apartments. Other than that, the plan / vision for that area is largely low and mid-rise. 

Edited by CLT2014

1 minute ago, CLT2014 said:

Because none of the large corporations that are in Charlotte that could justify building a tall tower have shown interest in locating on North Tryon, The "prediction" for that side of town is some average size towers at Spirit Square and the Lennar apartments. Other than that, the plan / vision for that area is largely low and mid-rise. 

So BofA tower wouldn't really be considered the center of center city then....Its like from LU to BofA is basically  Charlotte's downtown....that sucks. Density is great, but when its all in like 1 square mile, what's the point..

6 minutes ago, j-man said:

So BofA tower wouldn't really be considered the center of center city then....Its like from LU to BofA is basically  Charlotte's downtown....that sucks. Density is great, but when its all in like 1 square mile, what's the point..

If you define a center city as mega skyscrapers only, then yes, BofA Corporate Center isn't in the exact middle of the skyscrapers anymore. It is in the geographic center of Uptown Charlotte though which includes low, mid, AND high rise buildings. North Tryon is getting momentum too and will be getting some good height, just not 500 feet + currently. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

If you define a center city as mega skyscrapers only, then yes, BofA Corporate Center isn't in the exact middle of the skyscrapers anymore. It is in the geographic center of Uptown Charlotte though which includes low, mid, AND high rise buildings. North Tryon is getting momentum too and will be getting some good height, just not 500 feet + currently. 

Yeah I see what you're saying, but some of those plans but it would be nice to get a fair balance. And why wouldn't a developer want to put something on that side. Wouldn't it be cheaper. Sure its is not close to the most of the action but as a commercial building....people are going to come to work regardless, lol. The foot traffic, residential units, hotels, and attractions will follow. They first need a reason to be there. 

Edited by j-man

1 hour ago, j-man said:

But what is everybody's obsession with everything being built on the south side of Uptown....I get this one, but the north side gets no mockups, predictions, or even attention. I think there are enough mega towers in that section. 

This has been going on for DECADES.  I might have guessed that there's a gravitational pull towards the south because of South End, except that this issues long predates South End.  I remember back when First Union built its 42-story tower in 1988, concerns were being raised about yet another tower south of the Square.  There was hope that BofA putting up its tower north of The Square in 1992, followed by the Hearst Tower, that there would be a shift in that direction to balance out the skyline and get some development going on the north end of UT, but all these years later that's still never really happened.  When you ride the Blue Line north it's like you're entering into a desert.  And on North Tryon, right on the other side of I-277, is that scary empty lot, quite the contrast from what's happening on the south side of the loop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunted said:

^ I honestly don't think a 1,000+ ft building towards the end of the skyline would be ill-fitting or make it look disproportionate or unbalanced. That'd be a cool spot for one.

I agree.  The Queen is ready for 1,000'.  1,200 or higher would look odd right now, but 1,000' would be quite nice!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, j-man said:

I hear ya, but in my defense, I never said that would be my top pick for a location. I was simply assessing Tyrone's photoshopping. I've actually posted before about my top 5 locations for a new tallest. I don't think any of them were near Stonewall. I'm with you; the north side is lacking and I would prefer one on that side. If I remember correctly (not that I can't change my mind now), my top pick was the lot across from the bus terminal. 

20 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree.  The Queen is ready for 1,000'.  1,200 or higher would look odd right now, but 1,000' would be quite nice!

The gap between our current tallest and a 1,000 footer is only 129'. It wouldn't look disproportionate in the slightest to me. Now, compare that to Oklahoma City. Devon Energy (although I like the building) stands out in the worst way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JacksonH said:

This has been going on for DECADES.  I might have guessed that there's a gravitational pull towards the south because of South End, except that this issues long predates South End.  I remember back when First Union built its 42-story tower in 1988, concerns were being raised about yet another tower south of the Square.  There was hope that BofA putting up its tower north of The Square in 1992, followed by the Hearst Tower, that there would be a shift in that direction to balance out the skyline and get some development going on the north end of UT, but all these years later that's still never really happened.  When you ride the Blue Line north it's like you're entering into a desert.  And on North Tryon, right on the other side of I-277, is that scary empty lot, quite the contrast from what's happening on the south side of the loop.

Well, how about we start working on "North End" and get some gravitation on the north side of Uptown lol. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

There are way too many prime locations to build here .  Once land is at a premium, I think they will start getting higher.  We are nowhere close to this in my opinion.

• Like 3