Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

28 minutes ago, Jasons0013 said:

There are way too many prime locations to build here .  Once land is at a premium, I think they will start getting higher.  We are nowhere close to this in my opinion.

I agree.  There is still an abundance of prime property in UT.  The "building higher" in the past was not because of a lack of land, it was because of a war of egos between NCNB/NationsBank and First Union.  They didn't have to build so tall, they just chose to in a show of muscle flexing.

• Like 2

Well Wells doesn't play that game anyway.   I did some quick research guess where the tallest Wells tower is at?     Can you say the 992 foot tall Wells Fargo Plaza in downtown Houston! 

I think we need a lot more 500-800 foot tall towers and eventually we will get there (a new tallest) Plus we have acres and acres of vacant land or underutilized land to go through first within the loop. 

• Like 4

WARNING RDF missed his nap. So let me just say this.

Unless Charlotte goes through another sort of financial Gilded Age, like the late 80s early 90s were, where people flop their phallus' around, trying to figure out who's is bigger, Bofa Corp Center will not be surpassed. Not in today's climate, where companies are cheap, and incredibly public facing. Not before uptown loses all of its under utilized and unutilized land, and honestly not before Charlotte has beach front property because of melting ice caps. All of Charlotte's super companies, and the new one, are embroiled in some sort of controversy, and all would look bad if they put up a super tower. Also, I think people glossed over it when I said it gets exponentially more expensive, not incrementally more expensive to build taller than 25 floors. 

Offices turned into cubicles, and then into open floor plan stations. People are condensing, downsizing, putting people in a box. It's easy, it's efficient, and it doesn't make waves. Thats the future. 

Now downvote away.

Personally I'd rather 30-45 floor buildings with added cultural attractions built to go along with the buildings. Look at what Wells Fargo did with Duke Energy Center. Theres Two Museums and a 1100 Seat Theatre, that contributes 1 billion times more to the vitality of the city than a 1,200 ft tower.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

So let me just say this.

Unless Charlotte goes through another sort of financial Gilded Age, like the late 80s early 90s were, where people flop their phallus' around, trying to figure out who's is bigger, Bofa Corp Center will not be surpassed. Not in today's climate, where companies are cheap, and incredibly public facing. Not before uptown loses all of its under utilized and unutilized land, and honestly not before Charlotte has beach front property because of melting ice caps. All of Charlotte's super companies, and the new one, are embroiled in some sort of controversy, and all would look bad if they put up a super tower. Also, I think people glossed over it when I said it gets exponentially more expensive, not incrementally more expensive to build taller than 25 floors. 

Offices turned into cubicles, and then into open floor offices. People are condensing, downsizing, putting people in a box. It's easy, it's efficient, and it doesn't make waves. Thats the future. 

Now downvote away.

Personally I'd rather 30-45 floor buildings with added cultural attractions built to go along with the buildings. Look at what Wells Fargo did with Duke Energy Center. Theres Two Museums and a 1100 Seat Theatre, that contributes 1 billion times more to the vitality of the city than a 1,200 ft tower.

With that in mind, do you have any insight into whether the new Duke HQ will be conservative and utilitarian or if its design will be bold?

It seems that this architecture firm does pretty nice work.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

With that in mind, do you have any insight into whether the new Duke HQ will be conservative and utilitarian or if its design will be bold?

It seems that this architecture firm does pretty nice work.

tvs design does great work, but I know the original design came up well over budget. I imagine a box with embellishments. Maybe they saw my version and will get some ideas, who knows.

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

tvs design does great work, but I know the original design came up well over budget. I imagine a box with embellishments. Maybe they saw my version and will get some ideas, who knows.

Thanks.

Ally/Tryon is a box with embellishments, and it will look great, so I guess we can reasonably hope for something good.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks.

Ally/Tryon is a box with embellishments, and it will look great, so I guess we can reasonably hope for something good.

I think you can reasonably expect 200-300 feet taller than Ally.  And by embellishments i mean ones that pierce the sky.

Edited by Guest

When making a reply the custom bar on the top of the reply section has a capital letter A with a line under it. This is just to the left of the font button. Clicking on the A brings a color box with black at the top by itself then rows of color choices.

(Unless your comment was meant ironically about not knowing...never mind, this reads as a pedant Have I been pwnd)

5 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

^Won’t be long. March 1st. Same day they have the groundbreaking ceremony. (I don’t know to do blue font)

As long as they don’t do it on April 1st to leave us wondering if it is an April Fool’s joke... of course, that would give them a way to correct course if it isn’t well received. “Oh, you don’t like it? That was actually an April Fool’s joke, here is the real design!”

• Like 3