Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

Here are some pics I took today from my office. I can't believe that I've had this view for the past year and haven't taken any pics, and this is my last week in this building because my company is moving down the street. You can definitely see how the new towers are making an impact on the skyline. Hope you enjoy.

post-10504-1208910064_thumb.jpg

post-10504-1208910089_thumb.jpg

post-10504-1208910112_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics I took today from my office. I can't believe that I've had this view for the past year and haven't taken any pics, and this is my last week in this building because my company is moving down the street. You can definitely see how the new towers are making an impact on the skyline. Hope you enjoy.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. :)

These are from the SouthPark area, right? This skyline angle is one of my favorites, especially the slightly different version that is seen coming northbound on Park Road @ Tyvola/Fairview.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. :)

These are from the SouthPark area, right? This skyline angle is one of my favorites, especially the slightly different version that is seen coming northbound on Park Road @ Tyvola/Fairview.

Yea, these are taken from one of the SouthPark towers. It's one of my favorite views as well.

Does anyone know which church steeple is poking up there?

The building that takes almost the complete frame is the Acadamy of Music/Trust Building, at 212 S Tryon.

CP_2002_04_280.jpg

CP_2002_04_414.jpg

It burnt down in the 1920s and was replaced by the CW Johnson building which is on the historic register. I really wish that Charlotte would have architects rebuild from photos and documentation some of its best old demolished buildings like they do in Europe. The Trust Building is one which I'd love to see rebuilt. It certainly was a pride of Charlotte at the time, considering how many photos and postcards remain of it compared to other buildings.

Normally, those beautiful buildings show up as 'Demolished 1984' or 'Demolished 2003' and a few will show up . Some are still with us, but will eventually show up as 'Demolished 2009' like this one:

The Coddington Building from 1925, that is slated to be torn down for a crappy little plaza at Graham and Trade

H_2000_01_293_25.jpg

or the Barringer Hotel from 1940, that was almost sold by the Housing Authority, and likely demolished, but that was delayed:

CP_2000_04_114.jpg

Dubone, that was a fantastic building; thanks for identifying it. I, too, wish that a replica or two of some of Charlotte's historic buildings that are no longer with us could be built.

If Barringer gets torn down, I will cry. :(

Nice rendering, swampfox! Now go ahead and add in the condo tower, the NASCAR tower, 300 S Tryon, 210 Trade, Vue, etc. :)

Bled_man, I took the liberty of adding to your photo. If you'd rather me not, let me know and I'll zap it.

I couldn't resist wondering what that incredible view would be with the new Wachovia building completed. I think the angle is right on the money too.

Nice pic, definitely adds to the desolate southside.

Bled_man, I took the liberty of adding to your photo. If you'd rather me not, let me know and I'll zap it.

I couldn't resist wondering what that incredible view would be with the new Wachovia building completed. I think the angle is right on the money too.

Not a problem. Great looking rendering. It is definitely going to make a tremendous impact on the skyline from that angle. I still have to check and see what my view is like in my new building, but I don't know if it will be the same.

Here's a different kind of POTD:

mecklenburg1-lg.jpg

Tryon Street in the early 1900's.

Wow.

Beautiful...too bad this is not around any more. I understand Tryon St. can't look like this any more... But this is what I really wish areas like 1st ward or 2nd ward looked like. Maybe Brooklyn Village redevelopment will bring some buildings of this scale to center city.

Known affectionately as Suttle's Puddle...

With hot weather on our heels......anyone remember Suttle's down Wilkinson Blvd? In the 70's they had several rides but I loved the ferris wheel and circle swing. Oh, and for a 10 year old kid, this was the largest darn swimming pool on the planet!!

suttle.jpg