Jump to content

cltheel.sdl

Charlotte Photo of the Day

Recommended Posts

I hope the board moderator will permit this question, though it isn't entirely on topic:

I greatly appreciate the pictures that y'all put here...I don't often get the time to traverse the City, but this forum enables me to keep up with the latest developments.  Thanks to all who participate.

My question is this (and I know it's simplistic).  Why do these shots look so much better than what I take?  I stick with lesser camera's in the $125-150 range - obviously "you get what you pay for." 

Yet I have a 20 megapixel camera with a mechanical zoom lens that doesn't take great photo's, while another poster might have a 12x camera that takes beautiful, crisp, pictures.  What gives?  Obviously there's more to a great picture than the number of megapixels.  What might that be?

How much do I have to spend on a camera to get a decent picture?  I am a casual, recreational, user,,,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


That last one was from my iPhone 7+

A lot of photography is composition (framing the shot to get a good/interesting perspective) and then post-processing. 

You can get a 'real' DSLR starting around $500. 

http://m.thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/cameras/

 

Edited by Matthew.Brendan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NDL. said:

I hope the board moderator will permit this question, though it isn't entirely on topic:

I greatly appreciate the pictures that y'all put here...I don't often get the time to traverse the City, but this forum enables me to keep up with the latest developments.  Thanks to all who participate.

My question is this (and I know it's simplistic).  Why do these shots look so much better than what I take?  I stick with lesser camera's in the $125-150 range - obviously "you get what you pay for." 

Yet I have a 20 megapixel camera with a mechanical zoom lens that doesn't take great photo's, while another poster might have a 12x camera that takes beautiful, crisp, pictures.  What gives?  Obviously there's more to a great picture than the number of megapixels.  What might that be?

How much do I have to spend on a camera to get a decent picture?  I am a casual, recreational, user,,,

I dunno if this was being directed to some of the photo's that I post, if so thank you, but don't be mistaken, I by no means have any professional sense in photography, I just try to keep our insatiable appetite for development news here fed.

For the most part I take pictures using an ancient sony 8mp camera, or sometimes my iphone5 if the sony is dead.  I usually take 5-8 photos in every spot because most of them turn out blurry or just aren't "crisp."  I am proud to say that none of my photo's are tweaked in Photoshop, mostly because I don't have a clue how to use it, but also it just seems more authentic that way.

These were taken Friday via my iphone:

 

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NDL. said:

I hope the board moderator will permit this question, though it isn't entirely on topic:

I greatly appreciate the pictures that y'all put here...I don't often get the time to traverse the City, but this forum enables me to keep up with the latest developments.  Thanks to all who participate.

My question is this (and I know it's simplistic).  Why do these shots look so much better than what I take?  I stick with lesser camera's in the $125-150 range - obviously "you get what you pay for." 

Yet I have a 20 megapixel camera with a mechanical zoom lens that doesn't take great photo's, while another poster might have a 12x camera that takes beautiful, crisp, pictures.  What gives?  Obviously there's more to a great picture than the number of megapixels.  What might that be?

How much do I have to spend on a camera to get a decent picture?  I am a casual, recreational, user,,,

Story is King.  Telling the story means getting the shot.  But to answer your question, an iPhone is probably your best bet--better than most point and shoots in the range you're talking.  That and some basic photo editing software.  That said, we're not a picky bunch.  Give us a good shot of the skyline or some construction, and we're satisfied.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CarolinaCrown said:

I dunno if this was being directed to some of the photo's that I post, if so thank you, but don't be mistaken, I by no means have any professional sense in photography, I just try to keep our insatiable appetite for development news here fed.

For the most part I take pictures using an ancient sony 8mp camera, or sometimes my iphone5 if the sony is dead.  I usually take 5-8 photos in every spot because most of them turn out blurry or just aren't "crisp."  I am proud to say that none of my photo's are tweaked in Photoshop, mostly because I don't have a clue how to use it, but also it just seems more authentic that way.

8 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

That last one was from my iPhone 7+

A lot of photography is composition (framing the shot to get a good/interesting perspective) and then post-processing. 

You can get a 'real' DSLR starting around $500. 

http://m.thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/cameras/

 

1 hour ago, alb1no panther said:

Story is King.  Telling the story means getting the shot.  But to answer your question, an iPhone is probably your best bet--better than most point and shoots in the range you're talking.  That and some basic photo editing software.  That said, we're not a picky bunch.  Give us a good shot of the skyline or some construction, and we're satisfied.  

I greatly appreciate y'all's responses.  It's amazing that the iphone takes such nice pictures, but again, I credit the eye of the photographer.  You all make really nice contributions, and I thank you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CarolinaCrown said:

Did the max file size size change for uploading pictures here? I've never had trouble with my pic's file size being too large until today??

I switched our photo/video storage system over to Amazon S3 overnight and it looks like the max upload size was changed to a really low value. I just fixed it so you should be okay now. Shoot me a PM if it still doesn't let you upload what you need. Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CarolinaCrown said:

^I'd hate to be the person that has to post after that guy.DSC05076.JPG

Kansas City Chiefs charter jet on United Airlines from Sunday's game. 

The Panthers fly with American Airlines. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, qcguttersnipe said:

A couple more night shots.

Queen.JPG

Follow the lights Dungeon Family.JPG

I noticed the other night that they were testing the lighting on the inset areas scaling up BoA.  Can't wait till they get those back up and running.

Edited by AP3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.