Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

I think I mentioned this before but...If my parents (b. 1905, 1909) were here and I told them that people would pay very good money just to live next to the rail tracks they would. not. believe. me. Steam trains were what they grew up with and the smoke and fumes and cinders and soot would be everywhere around the track. Plus the vibration and risk of fire. Many buildings by the track were expected to burn due to the fire risk of cinders and sparks thrown from the train stack. Ah, but the cleansing effect of memory minus experience.

The locomotive pictured above is a relatively clean (ahem) safe version.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I think I mentioned this before but...If my parents (b. 1905, 1909) were here and I told them that people would pay very good money just to live next to the rail tracks they would. not. believe. me. Steam trains were what they grew up with and the smoke and fumes and cinders and soot would be everywhere around the track. Plus the vibration and risk of fire. Many buildings by the track were expected to burn due to the fire risk of cinders and sparks thrown from the train stack. Ah, but the cleansing effect of memory minus experience.

The locomotive pictured above is a relatively clean (ahem) safe version.

And lo we have the circumstances that led to our modern zoning laws.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Is he required to deliver the apartments by a certain date per the agreement with the city or is it only the deck?

Not sure but there is exposed rebar as RDF pointed out all around the deck like the old Epicenter condo tower. 

• Like 1

Speaking of the photo of the day does anyone know when Google earth will update uptown Charlotte from the air? There is no Ascent, the Charlotte Observer bldg still stands, no 615 S College no Springhill no Embassy Suites etc  this aerial is seriously out of date. The Duck Commander folks in West Monroe LA used to put different color decoys on top their building to see when it was done in their area. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Speaking of the photo of the day does anyone know when Google earth will update uptown Charlotte from the air? There is no Ascent, the Charlotte Observer bldg still stands, no 615 S College no Springhill no Embassy Suites etc  this aerial is seriously out of date. The Duck Commander folks in West Monroe LA used to put different color decoys on top their building to see when it was done in their area. 

Not sure about Google Earth, but the satellite imagery found in Maps has been updated for some time now. You have to use Google Maps in "Lite mode" to see the satellite imagery, which is dated October 2016, so is fairly recent.

• Like 3