Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

14 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

What's amazing to me in that night shot with the crowns is that you can clearly see just a few blocks out from the square and it's literally still half and full-blocks of surface parking lots. 

Unfortunately, soul-sucking surface parking lots within a few short blocks of the heart of Charlotte aren't unique to the QC.  Aerial photos of the majority of American cities the size of Charlotte look pretty similar.  In particular, the gorgeous shot of BOA's "flaming hot crown" looks out across First Ward (commonly referred to as the "Levine Wasteland"), which contains the largest number of surface parking lots of any of Uptown's 4 wards.  As both KJHburg and RDF2 noted above, hopes for fewer surface parking lots and a nicer skyline along the North Tryon axis depend upon proposed developments, such as, the Intercontinental Hotel, Lennar highrise residential tower, Spirit Square redevelopment, etc.  See stories from the Charlotte Observer below: 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article132644364.html  (New 30-Story Residential Tower in the Works Uptown, 02/14/2017, Charlotte Observer)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article138276948.html  (Tear down and replace the Main library uptown? That's part of a new revitalization plan, 03/14/2017, Charlotte Observer)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article45512388.html  (Vision for North Tryon: Smaller blocks, mix of uses, pedestrian corridors, 11/19/2015, Charlotte Observer)

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 11:39 PM, Eightane said:

the whole thing looks like a real inspiration for the "Megalopolis" backdrop in the original SNES SimCity.

That's one of those buildings where i'd put a little park in the 9th slot and wait for the infill to turn to the R-1 color.  Woof that's fugly.  

16 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

What's amazing to me in that night shot with the crowns is that you can clearly see just a few blocks out from the square and it's literally still half and full-blocks of surface parking lots. 

In Midtown Atlanta for a skinny minute, and there's still quite a few surface lots (that are, granted, being converted to condo towers) left.  Same thing in South Loop in 312.  Good news is Charlotte's downtown surface lots are getting gobbled up at what appears to be lightning speed.

Bad news is that, if you drive north or west six blocks from BAC 1, you've got giant wastelands of industrial blight.  That will take decades to change, and that would be more worrisome to me.

• Like 2

Love the view coming up South Tryon and compare to my postcard folder from the 80s. Today and throwback Tuesday of the 1980s. (Trees on the left of postcard photo are in front of the Charlotte Observer) Postcard ;photo taken from front yard of the new Lincoln Harris BofA tower. 

DSCN2789.JPG

FullSizeR(1) (1).jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

I walked by yesterday and there was a customer. Maybe he can get that big loud Jesus guy that screams around the square to move there so he won't drive us nuts. 

I was thinking more of a water hose to all 4 sides. This is center city, not Burning Man. 

Edited by alb1no panther
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

I walked by yesterday and there was a customer. Maybe he can get that big loud Jesus guy that screams around the square to move there so he won't drive us nuts. 

I got good news! Jesus Saves...Jesus Saves!

He had a bike yesterday, so he wasn't just confined to the square....

10 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I got good news! Jesus Saves...Jesus Saves!

He had a bike yesterday, so he wasn't just confined to the square....

I like how he switches to Spanish when he passes the construction workers. I've heard him do some other creative variations too. Nice guy, doesn't bother me or seem judgmental like most sidewalk preacher types do.