Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

14 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

I know the old Independence building would look tiny in this photo I took this morning, but I still miss it.

Independence.jpg

I hate that it was Demo'd before I was born. 

milburn9.jpg

41 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I hate that it was Demo'd before I was born. 

Ha!  Whipper-Snapper.

I got in trouble when I started climbing it one morning after my dad and I walked uptown from Carmel Road ( I think I was about 9) The ledges were about 4 inches deep and were like a ladder to a kid. I made it up to the 2nd floor on the Trade Street side. And, if anyone else remembers Kofinas Bar and Grill, we ate lunch right afterwards. 

8 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Ha!  Whipper-Snapper.

I got in trouble when I started climbing it one morning after my dad and I walked uptown from Carmel Road ( I think I was about 9) The ledges were about 4 inches deep and were like a ladder to a kid. I made it up to the 2nd floor on the Trade Street side. And, if anyone else remembers Kofinas Bar and Grill, we ate lunch right afterwards. 

Can you imagine a young person in Charlottes reaction now if you told them you walked from Carmel Road uptown? I mean I've walked from the Arbo uptown before, but I'm a crazy person.

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Can you imagine a young person in Charlottes reaction now if you told them you walked from Carmel Road uptown? I mean I've walked from the Arbo uptown before, but I'm a crazy person.

I can't get over the fat little kids today. And, yes, I said fat. When I look at my old childhood photos and see my ribs sticking out and clear joint definition I think neighbors now would call DSS. Really. And, my brothers and sisters weren't the only kids with ribs sticking out. I have an old Little League photo from 1967 (Park Sharon, btw) and, looking at our designated catcher (because he was the heaviest ), I can't believe it. Our catcher would now be considered skinny.

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

When I was in my early twenties and returned Uptown on a Greyhound bus around 2:00 am, I walked to Matthews. I'll never forget walking past the bustling construction zone for what is now the Epicentre.

At the time it was a massive full-block hole in the ground filled with humans, metal, and machinery. I had no idea what it was and I felt like an ant overlooking the vast foundries of Mordor or something.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

When I was in my early twenties I returned Uptown on a Greyhound bus around 2:00 am, I had no ride and no money so I walked home to Matthews.

I'll never forget walking past the bustling construction zone for what is now the Epicentre. At the time it was a massive full-block hole in the ground filled with what seemed like hundreds of humans, metal, and machinery. I had no idea what it was, and I felt like an ant overlooking the f

When I was in my early twenties and returned Uptown on a Greyhound bus around 2:00 am, I walked to Matthews. I'll never forget walking past the bustling construction zone for what is now the Epicentre.

At the time it was a massive full-block hole in the ground filled with humans, metal, and machinery. I had no idea what it was and I felt like an ant overlooking the vast foundries of Mordor or something.

When I was 19 I went to Ultra Music Fest, and me and my buddy got robbed of all of our stuff. We ended up walking all the way to Coral Gables, because it was the closest available hotel, that my very angry parents could book for us, no idea how we even made it there with no maps or cell phones.

Edited by Guest

Here is my postcard from my 1975 postcard folder that shows both the Independence Bldg and the Hotel Charlotte where the Carillon building stands on West Trade. Plus of course Belks (BofA Corporate center) and the very new Charlotte Civic Center with the pyramids. Thank goodness Iveys, the One Tryon Building and Johnston Bldg were all saved along Tryon.  Don't get me wrong I love all uptown Charlotte looks today but I remember this Charlotte too. 

FullSizeR (1).jpg

• Like 2

and keep them going I love to see the skyline from different buildings. and nice shot @cjolley92 of the historic 1927 One Tryon Plaza building. See we do have some historic towers left they are just hidden from view in the skyline shots. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is my postcard from my 1975 postcard folder that shows both the Independence Bldg and the Hotel Charlotte where the Carillon building stands on West Trade. Plus of course Belks (BofA Corporate center) and the very new Charlotte Civic Center with the pyramids. Thank goodness Iveys, the One Tryon Building and Johnston Bldg were all saved along Tryon.  Don't get me wrong I love all uptown Charlotte looks today but I remember this Charlotte too. 

FullSizeR (1).jpg

Look at how different it looks along I-77. The embankments had no vegetation back then. Today, it would be hard to see I-77 from this angle.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2017 at 9:36 PM, KJHburg said:

Churches create a pedestrian friendly scale in Uptown. Check all these 3, the  last one is now Spirit Square but is formally First Baptist. Plus they are historical as St Peters Episcopal is where Jefferson Davis worshiped after hearing about President Lincoln being shot and killed. 

DSCN3117.JPG

DSCN3123.JPG

DSCN3124.JPG

These are beautiful photos.  Thanks for posting.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

From the super secure KJ vault of old photos. Charlotte skyline from I-77 September 1981 ( I know that since Eckerds always printed a date of developing) Notice the towers that dominate this photo are all buried in the skyline now. Even the brutalist Duke tower at 526 S Church was a prominent tower. 

FullSizeR(2) (1).jpg

That is 27 story Charlotte Plaza building being built behind the now labeled BB&T Center. And yes I took this even though many of you were not alive.

What is the point of reference for this photo. 77? As exact as you can remember.