Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

44 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

What is the point of reference for this photo. 77? As exact as you can remember.

77 going northbound right after W Morehead St onramps. I remember taking this shot all the time when coming back from south Charlotte to visit my cousins. Notice the rail box cars in 3rd Ward there on that now abandoned line. Way before Trade St exit. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

77 going northbound right after W Morehead St onramps. I remember taking this shot all the time when coming back from south Charlotte to visit my cousins. Notice the rail box cars in 3rd Ward there on that now abandoned line. Way before Trade St exit. 

Love it!  That was about the time excitement for buildings uptown was just starting. I see a portion of our old building on the right of the photo. (To become Cedar Hill) My dad bought it in 1983-4. We had to chase the winos....oooops....homeless folk out from under the loading docks. It had been abandoned for who knows how long. When we gutted it we had to scrape out all the old cork from the refergerated area and paint over signs that said "Whites Only" on the bathrooms. It had been an A & P warehouse. The chemical tanks belonged to Jones Chemical. They stored primarily chlorine gas in the tanks. One afternoon we had to leave because of a leak. Messy area. We tried to buy that land, but somehow Jerry Blackmon wound up with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

another photo from the KJ vault of old Charlotte photos that I  took myself. This is of Tryon St looking south from the old overstreet walkway from Belks to Iveys. Does anyone beside me remember that overstreet mall connection over Tryon? Notice how wide the street is because this was before the 1982 transit mall and street diet. Photo from Sept 1981. Notice Eckerds at the corner at Trade and Tryon to left. 

FullSizeR (13).jpg

This is awesome.  Thanks @KJHburg

Its very weird to me, as someone that came to Charlotte in 96, not seeing BOA tower there.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

another photo from the KJ vault of old Charlotte photos that I  took myself. This is of Tryon St looking south from the old overstreet walkway from Belks to Iveys. Does anyone beside me remember that overstreet mall connection over Tryon? Notice how wide the street is because this was before the 1982 transit mall and street diet. Photo from Sept 1981. Notice Eckerds at the corner at Trade and Tryon to left. 

FullSizeR (13).jpg

Yes, I remember this view. Overstreet Mall will save retail in downtown Charlotte. YMMV. No buses in that photo though transfers were all at Trade and Tryon. Line of buses was common.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Yes, I remember this view. Overstreet Mall will save retail in downtown Charlotte. YMMV. No buses in that photo though transfers were all at Trade and Tryon. Line of buses was common.

The old Masonic Temple was probably still in there somewhere.  Hated seeing them move that. This photo probably wasn't too long after they had just finished with the NCNB tower. That seemed like such a huge skyscraper back then. I remember digging through the rubble that had been Lebo's wth my eccentric uncle who wanted to collect some bricks before that tower was started.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

The NCNB tower was finished, and it looks like the secondary development on that block ( the Radisson Plaza) was already glassed in, so I'd put a date of 1976-77 on this pic.  

No I took it Sept 1981 and that is because I saw the date stamp  on the back of the photo.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nick2 said:

It always cracks me up when people try to flame Charlotte's skyline on other forums. One of the most common is that it is basically just on one street. They obviously have never been Uptown.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I'm not sure what Charlotte is *supposed* to be.  It's the 22nd largest metro in the country.  Have those folks been to Orlando?  San Antonio? Portland?  Sacto? Cincy?  Or, in the other direction, Bal'more? Tampa?  San Diego?  Detroit?  Phoenix?

From where I sit, Charlotte is in the group of "cities with skylines disproportionately large to their size," and it's a short list :  Minny, Seattle, Pittsburgh are the only others that come to mind.  And, it's recently handicapped by the NC legislature, so that's (maybe?) an obstacle.  But, keep filling in those (fewer and fewer) remaining holes and get another signature tower or three and there's a lot to admire about the city's business clout.  

Not trying to damn with faint praise, but here's Charlotte's two current bookends.  So, yeah, um, what's those critics' point?

BMORE.jpg

Orlando.jpg

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum
  • Like 1

Charlotte's skyline is much better than comparably sized cities and is in fact way above its weigh. Dittos for CLT airport because of our American Airlines hub. 

We have 17 buildings completed or under construction over 400 feet tall, Nashville 8, Denver same as CLT 17, Phoenix just 2, Tampa 7 even booming Austin 16 etc.   Source Wikipedia buildings completed and under construction not proposed.  Denver, Phoenix, Tampa St Pete are bigger than metro Charlotte. 

We have larger and taller office buildings because of our financial firms demand them. As for someones comment about all one street, I would say our urban core is 4 blocks wide from S Tryon at 277 to N Tryon at 277 this is where most but not all our tallest buildings are. This makes for a dense urban core. 

Most of my friends who haven't been to Charlotte in a while or never are truly shocked at our skyline how tall, how big the buildings are. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Terrible photo but hey I was a teenager for throwback Tuesday from the KJ vault of old photos. From I-77 southbound at the Brookshire freeway. This was the skyline shot then. If anyone can get an updated one it would be great to compare. From Sept. 1981 Obviously the skyline now towers over the AvidXchange building at the Music Factory. 

FullSizeR(1) (7).jpg

Can we name those three towers?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Terrible photo but hey I was a teenager for throwback Tuesday from the KJ vault of old photos. From I-77 southbound at the Brookshire freeway. This was the skyline shot then. If anyone can get an updated one it would be great to compare. From Sept. 1981 Obviously the skyline now towers over the AvidXchange building at the Music Factory. 

FullSizeR(1) (7).jpg

From the same location. https://goo.gl/maps/RoEDXz5ULoA2 

It's strange to see that hillside so bare back then but now completely overgrown. Interesting how everything looked much more open back then.

• Like 2

My first visit to Charlotte was in the early 80's. A small town boy, I was fascinated by pictures of its burgeoning, glassy skyline. Was SHOCKED when I drove into Uptown, which was basically Tryon and Trade surrounded by parking lots. Belk's had a curtain you had to brush aside to access the Overstreet Mall. A recent issue of Southern Living featured Charlotte as an up-and-coming Southern downtown. Nashville, Tulsa, Fort Worth and Richmond were the others.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

From the same location. https://goo.gl/maps/RoEDXz5ULoA2 

It's strange to see that hillside so bare back then but now completely overgrown. Interesting how everything looked much more open back then.

Overgrown= GOOD!   ;-)   We need more greenery. It's an asset that people out West beg for and a huge selling point.

• Like 3