Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

We ne

1 hour ago, nowensone said:

A little nostalgia, this is lifted from earlier in this thread, circa Dec. 18, 2007, almost 10 years ago.  Vantage appears to be the Actors Theater parking lot.  Very different today.

CLTSouthCornerUTDec182007.jpg.55f1ee60dde046fde51871263f6717b2.jpg

We need somebody to go get a comparable shot ASAP!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Popsickle said:

We need somebody to go get a comparable shot ASAP!

Hahaha, yes, that.

@KJHburg, I was hoping not to ask, but...  :)  I was assuming the Actors parking lots because there is nothing obstructing the view in the pic, but don't know for sure.

8 hours ago, nowensone said:

Hahaha, yes, that.

@KJHburg, I was hoping not to ask, but...  :)  I was assuming the Actors parking lots because there is nothing obstructing the view in the pic, but don't know for sure.

I will try later this coming week I will be back  uptown. I guess I will have to go to the lot behind Bob Walton or in front of it since the Montage apartments have started on the Actors site. But if anyone can beat me up there go right ahead. 

• Like 1

I cracked open my vault of old photos and here is  skyline shot I took from late 1982 from Brookshire Freeway around the same spot I took this photo July 29 2017. The city of today swallowed up the city of 1982. Most of all those buildings in the 1982 skyline shot are still there but they are buried in the skyline now by taller buildings or blocked in view by newer towers.  The 1982 is making its world debut on the internet here as of course there was no Internet back in 1982 plus I didn't have a computer to access it even if there was one. 

Wow we have built a lot in 35 years! 

FullSizeRender (14).jpg

DSCN3648.JPG

• Like 2

Charlotte was officially incorporated in 1768, and so she'll celebrate her 250th Anniversary in 2018 (the QC's Sestercentennial).  It's a historic milestone for a beautiful, welcoming, diverse, creative, and global city. What a lovely place to call home!  I'm sure that @KJHburg will continue to regale us with his amazing, rapturous, and inspiring photography of the City we all love and cherish, Charlotte. Meantime, here's the QC being caressed by 2 rainbows.  

qmbtnLf6gz0YsrMP9yhP9OW4BD8uql1sErFAQcDS4tA.jpg?w=1024&s=887e42ba7fe1b6bf01acbc558a51d926

Click open link in new window at:
"The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Story, History Timeline, 1768 - Charlotte Incorporated"

Edited by QCxpat
Provide data source and link
  • Like 4

Couple more from the KJ vault of old photos of the QC. I took these back in Dec. 1981 from 2nd St now MLK near Board of Education bldg and the 2nd one from that crazy concrete walkway structure that was at Marshall Park. (Who remembers that monstrosity?) These were 3 of the 4 tallest buildings in the city  and the 27 story Charlotte Plaza was just wrapping up. This was the first high rise modern built without an anchor bank either NCNB or First Union or Wachovia.  Left to Right modern names 2 Wells Fargo, Charlotte Plaza, Bank of America Plaza Omni then Radisson hotel.  Notice the pyramid topped Civic Center the Epicentre was built on the rubble of it. The only other tall building at this time was 32 story Wachovia Bldg now known as 400 South Tryon (white building with gold stripes)   

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

FullSizeRender (8).jpg

• Like 4

My picture doesn't compare with what's shared on this thread, but from the first day I visited CLT in 2008, I was immediately taken with south Charlotte's streetscenes.  (Am I the only poster who loves the appearance of CLT's streetlights?)  Here's one of many:

CLT.JPG

Edited by NDL
  • Like 3

I live 2.2 miles from the center of uptown. At one point, on my daily commute, I passed 18 locations where there were two telephone poles within 5 feet of each other. Sometimes lines were moved from an old pole to a new one and the old was just left there, others, there were two poles both with lines, others, there was a leaning or broken pole and the new pole was installed to hold up the damaged pole. Can't fathom why this is allowed. It seems like litter to me. Duke Energy should be ticketed for littering our streets. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GeauxCLT said:

I live 2.2 miles from the center of uptown. At one point, on my daily commute, I passed 18 locations where there were two telephone poles within 5 feet of each other. Sometimes lines were moved from an old pole to a new one and the old was just left there, others, there were two poles both with lines, others, there was a leaning or broken pole and the new pole was installed to hold up the damaged pole. Can't fathom why this is allowed. It seems like litter to me. Duke Energy should be ticketed for littering our streets. 

I understand the frustration but don't place all the blame on Duke, some of those poles are from other entities as well.