Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

13 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

Clear Sky has a fresh new photo album of uptown. http://photos.clearskyimages.com/p530544922

Love how dense it keeps getting!

In a lot of skylines, including some of the other southern boom towns, I feel like 25 floor residential buildings there still look significant beside their 30-50 floor slender residential dominated buildings versus looking so insignificant compared to the giant floor plates of our office towers 

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

In a lot of skylines, including some of the other southern boom towns, I feel like 25 floor residential buildings there still look significant beside their 30-50 floor slender residential dominated buildings versus looking so insignificant compared to the giant floor plates of our office towers 

Skyhouse in Raleigh was a very significant building. Skyhouse in Charlotte, if it were mixed into the skyline, would disappear.

41 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is one of my favorite long range views of the skyline from SouthPark  and look at the breadth of our skyline and look how Legacy is starting to impact our skyline as the bookend.  I will try to retake this shot a couple of times a year especially as Legacy gets topped off.   Last one shows some height in SouthEnd with Dimensional Funds and Railyard.     This photo set brought to you by Belk serving the Carolinas for over 100 years Modern Southern Style......

IMG_8641.JPG

IMG_8642.JPG

IMG_8643.JPG

IMG_8644.JPG

Trying to decide if its worth my time to photoshop out those power lines.  Such a great photo, hell of a skyline. I'm imagining it in 1998 right now. My dad worked in 6100 Fairview when I was a child, I wonder if I took any photos on a disposable camera.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Trying to decide if its worth my time to photoshop out those power lines. 

Yes if you complete Legacy with your graphic, SCAD skills and put in Lennars tower and any others you can add that you would be able to see. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Yes if you complete Legacy with your graphic, SCAD skills and put in Lennars tower and any others you can add that you would be able to see. 

I've added legacy into this view before :-) somewhere on this site, lol

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

You did I remember but not the Lennar tower   the others you won't be able to see from here I don't think.  

Lennar is there too. Believe it or not, it'll barely be visible. Shows how vital Spirit Square and Hal Marshall will be to the progression of the skyline filling in. Brooklyn Village will only slightly help. 

image.thumb.png.6683558c74a2f342cafc49464884834c.png

Edited by Guest

Lennar is there too. Believe it or not, it'll barely be visible. Shows how vital Spirit Square and Hal Marshall will be to the progression of the skyline filling in. Brooklyn Village will only slightly help. 

image.thumb.png.6683558c74a2f342cafc49464884834c.png&key=e4b9e8c233da86453c38dc0898b689695b1277fc7dd025f647ee15cdd94b3417

Man, Tryon Place is such a letdown. I can’t believe how insignificant it is from this angle.

You think the RNB tower will still poke out behind the finished crowd at LU?

• Like 1

Man, Tryon Place is such a letdown. I can’t believe how insignificant it is from this angle.

You think the RNB tower will still poke out behind the finished crowd at LU?

Shrug, I disagree, I like it. It coulda been way better, the original tower, for instance lol. FNB will likely not be visible over the rest of legacy union. I’d expect 200-450 ft buildings to build out the rest of that site. I also think Duke Energy will be back in the news cycle by the end of the summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully none of this national tv coverage of Wells Fargo Championship shows an aerial of the Dee Dee Harris Wetland park site (aka the huge open pit)  at Gleneagles and Park Rd.  They seem to be having most tight shots of the course but nothing else. 

Some random uptown shots mainly at Romare Bearden and an explanation of that we call downtown Uptown by Jim Nance.  It said it was a beautiful skyline and with a shot of Kimpton, new 300 South Tryon it was a good view of the skyline. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

The uptown Charlotte skyline is illuminated in the background as holiday lights burn for first time in First Ward Park on Tuesday, December 8, 2015.

Photo Credit:  The uptown Charlotte skyline is illuminated in the background as holiday lights burn for first time in First Ward Park on Tuesday, December 8, 2015. David T. Foster III [email protected]

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

What Charlotte also needs is for the old man to give up Levine Land so we can even out our skyline growth. 

1 hour ago, DMann said:

Actually Daniel owns it, Leon Levine does not.

Last year, Ely Portillo at The Charlotte Observer reported that Daniel Levine, the nephew of Leon Levine and the son of Alvin Levine (Co-Founder of Levine Properties), was basically planning to downsize his real estate business (Levine Properties) and to take a different approach, viz., "entering into more partnerships and selling more land to other developers."   

Excerpts from The Observer Story on February 16, 2017:

I.  Downsizing Levine Properties.

"... Since his father died in August (2016), Levine said he’s reevaluated the Levine Properties business and changed the way he’s looking at developing the family-owned firm’s extensive holdings throughout Charlotte, and especially in uptown’s First Ward."  ...  "In addition to selling off assets uptown and in Florida, Levine said he’s pared back the company’s scope locally. The first chief operating officer Levine hired, in 2015, is no longer with the firm because Levine said the slower flow of deals left them without need for the position."    “When I made the decision that we were not going to do all of that at one time, that we were going to scale down, do more joint ventures,” said Levine, “it was pretty devastating.”   "Development has been slow in coming to the company’s First Ward holdings in uptown’s northeast corner, where Levine Properties has long owned dozens of acres.  Seas of surface parking lots still stretch around the Spectrum Center arena, ImaginOn Library, First Ward Park and UNC Charlotte’s uptown building – a largely empty canvas waiting to be filled in."  ...  “We are a smaller footprint now than we were before, and we’re not going to take on all of these different projects,” said Levine. “We talked about getting into the hotel business ourselves – I had never built a hotel before...We are now looking at partnering.”  ...  "Levine still owns nearly 20 acres in First Ward, covering big swaths between Sixth and Ninth streets, and on three sides of First Ward Park.   That’s down from about 32 acres a decade ago."  ...  "Before his father passed away last year, at age 83, Levine said he discussed with him how he wasn’t enjoying the business as much as he used to."  “I wasn’t having a lot of fun,” said Levine.   His dad gave him some simple advice: "Change the way he was working."  "Levine said even when his father was living in Florida and not involved with the day-to-day of the business, he was a frequent confidant."  “Three, four times a week I’d call him up and say, ‘Here’s what happened today,’” said Levine.   After his father died, he had a minor issue with a building they were leasing uptown.   “I went to pick up the phone to tell him,” said Levine. “I’m thinking to myself ‘Oh my God, I’m never going to be able to share with him the inside-baseball about our business...It’s a great loss.”

II. Lennar Mixed-Use Project.

"The company last month sold 3.5 acres between the Blue Line light rail extension and North College Street to developer Lennar Multifamily for $23 million."  ...  “Lennar plans to move aggressively to build on the land it bought uptown, which is now mostly used for parking."    "The company has already filed preliminary plans for a 30-story residential tower and a five-story apartment building, totaling more than 500 units, with shops and restaurants on the ground floor facing First Ward Park."   “We just see between Levine Properties holdings and the (county-owned) Hal Marshall Center, there’s a lot of underdeveloped land,” said Jeff Harris, head of Lennar’s Carolinas division.  "With the Blue Line connecting uptown to UNC Charlotte, Harris expects First Ward to draw more people who work in that area but are looking to live uptown."   "Lennar is still designing its project. The company plans to start demolition on its site in the fourth quarter this year and construction in early 2018, Harris said."

Links:  

(1) http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article132984039.html   "After his father's death, this developer is changing his approach.  And that could change Charlotte," The Charlotte Observer, by Ely Portillo, February 16, 2017.

(2) http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/charlotte/obituary.aspx?n=alvin-ellis-levine&pid=181187202&fhid=5889   (Alvin Levine Obituary, Father of Daniel Levine)

• Like 4

Imagine South end with the “Design Center Tower” completed and how much it will make South end seem like it’s an integral part of the uptown skyline. Really liking how it’s turnig into the Atlanta - Midtown  wide angle effect if that makes any sense.

Edited by Jalen
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

When the skies are this beautiful in Charlotte you just have to take some photos.   I call this the Florida sky with the puffy white clouds drifting by.  Uptown and all around today.  Tons of people uptown at both major parks, eating outside everywhere etc.  

IMG_8680.JPG

I can't wait for the day that that radio tower is toppled. It'll be like watching the statue of Saddam Hussein go down in Baghdad. Easily one of the top 5 surface lots in Uptown.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1