Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

Settler's Cemetery yesterday.  The Charlotte Landscape Management workers were resetting gravestones and monuments that had been knocked over.  The one guy told me that one of the monuments they lifted has to be reset about 15 times per year since vandals knock it over so much.   Bonus photo of Thomas Polk's grave.

Settlers Cemetary.jpg

Settlers Cemetary Polk.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My favorite time of day is the 2pm midday "deathray" from the sun's reflection off the top of One Wells Fargo.  https://www.mecknc.gov/luesa/airquality/air-quality-data/pages/visibility.aspx?redirect=charmeck#

IMG_3067.JPG

Related reading:

"Why do skyscrapers melt things?" 

https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-09/why-do-skyscrapers-melt-things

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

These are excellent. And I actually like the visual effect of power lines as you travel toward uptown. They help add to that parallax effect which showcases just how huge those buildings are. Once you get uptown and that clutter is gone, the buildings somehow don't seem as imposing. Another good example of that is heading northbound on I-95 into Richmond but I digress...:)

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Random photos of the city today from various angles.  Will be going coastal for a while so boys and girls take lots of photos while I am gone.   I was a passenger today so better drive by shots. 

2nd photo shows the Southwire plant tower up in Huntersville. 

IMG_9221.JPG

IMG_9223.JPG

IMG_9236.JPG

IMG_9255.JPG

IMG_9267.JPG

IMG_9269.JPG

IMG_9270.JPG

IMG_9271.JPG

In your second picture, is that a tall building off in the distance?

10 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Those are some great photos and interesting perspectives, lighting and exposure. Superb variation. The A C & W has joyous locomotives to my eye. Where was that crossing? 

In all our discussion of urban issues we remember than the railroads were what made Charlotte a city in the first place. Transportation, distribution, warehousing are and always have been what kept this city alive.

Thank you for the compliment! What you said is completely true and is probably why I have always found the industry so fascinating and why rail photography has always been a hobby.

I too love the AC&W paint scheme. The crossing is Eastway Drive!

Also of note, the CSX line from Charlotte to Monroe is far busier than it was a few years ago. At least that's my observation in the past two days. I now have serious doubts CSX would let it go.

Edited by ajfunder
  • Like 3

On 5/21/2018 at 8:35 PM, Crucial_Infra said:

God that makes me feel old.  When I was a wee lad, Eric Thomas was a spry young up and comer, Steve looked like he was barely 21, Paul Cameron was doing a poor man's Dan Patrick, and The Big Guy was Ric Flair with a mic.  Also, WCNC existed somewhere or other on my tee vee.  Finally, Delano still had a neck.

Good times.

^^That CSX line now has overnight train service I think daily to Wilmington and the port.  That AC&W line is important to the small towns east of Charlotte not busy but it serves some manufacturers out in Stanly county I know that.    Great photos! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

God that makes me feel old.  When I was a wee lad, Eric Thomas was a spry young up and comer, Steve looked like he was barely 21, Paul Cameron was doing a poor man's Dan Patrick, and The Big Guy was Ric Flair with a mic.  Also, WCNC existed somewhere or other on my tee vee.  Finally, Delano still had a neck.

Good times.

WPCQ became WCNC in 1988. I, and everyone I knew thought it a brilliant move.

1 minute ago, tarhoosier said:

WPCQ became WCNC in 1988. I, and everyone I knew thought it a brilliant move.

I wasn't making any qualitative statement about local NBC, just not something we watched in our house except for Thursday.

I do remember the jingle...

Cuz Charlotte's up and coming

with the team that really kicks (oh yeah)

(NBC) WCNC TV 36

Cable 6

Duh duh duh duh