Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Hoo boy, I know that house. Mallonee-Jones house.

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rmallonee.htm

I have been in that house and it is spectacular. The builder was also a lumber merchant and used the house as an advertisement for his work and materials. Nothing says luxury in a home as fine woodwork and this has it in spades even more on the inside than outside. The sunburst motif over the entrance is one of the best features of Dilworth. Inside there was (is?) a call system from all rooms to the kitchen. There is a wall that is about two feet wide in the middle of the house which allows a narrow passageway  to enable servants to go from the back of the first floor to the front rooms without disturbing other rooms.  I moved into a house at 301 East Kingston, one block away, about a month before the death of Mrs. Jones who lived there for 75 years. Yes, 75 years. I have walked past this house at least a thousand times and was a home host on the Dilworth Home Tour many years ago when this house was a tour home. 

Edward Dilworth Latta and his partners developed Dilworth with a slogan "Live in the country and work in the city". So check the photo of that house as a new house and dirt streets alongside and you have the idea what they were selling.

Jorgi you have a great eye.

Awesome! Thank you for the back story! I had noticed this house several times, but had never photographed it. Dilworth definitely has a few gems, but this one is one of my favorites. 

This home above as well as several others in Dilworth are fine examples of the Queen Anne style.

https://www.wentworthstudio.com/historic-styles/queen-anne/

Popular in 1880-1910 and seen even now in restored areas of San Francisco (Alamo Square) and other places in the US.

15 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Dilworth has it’simageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370 fair share of historic structures. Love the details in this house. 

B87C6C6D-FFBA-4DEB-9F7E-270E052C7DEA.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree.  It’s a beautiful photo.

From Charlottestories.com

22BB9363-A4E9-4BE2-97C1-53244843A41A.jpeg

yuck don't credit them, and don't read them.

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

yuck don't credit them, and don't read them.

I never heard of them.  I do read your site though.  The photo showed up on Charlotte's FB page,  and since no photographer was mentioned, I felt compelled to credit the site.  

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I never heard of them.  I do read your site though.  It just showed up on Charlotte's FB page,  and since no photographer was mentioned, I felt compelled to credit the site.  

yea, they are a bad online publication, its like 60% reliable information.

For you long timers, the Belk and Ivey family plots are close. Also Harry Harding, long time school superintendent, is buried overlooking the former Harry Harding high school, now Irwin Elementary. Many other worthwhile opportunities to learn local history there.

Elmwood is a city cemetery, one of several, and when I went there to select a location, the on site employee accompanied me and his name, no b. s., was Will Berry.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Miscellaneous and I mean miscellaneous photos of Charlotte today.  Have a great Labor Day weekend everybody!  I don't know how those first 2 photos got in my lineup.  Modern houses in Third Ward. 

IMG_2948.JPG

IMG_2949.JPG

A friend of mine's family has a condo near these houses. It's a lovely neighborhood and doesn't feel like it's a part of uptown in the slightest. I'm so surprised that modest single family homes exist within the loop still.

• Like 3

I know this is a QC thread but I have a few San Antonio pics to upload.  Nice city, very mature and has character.  Like I said earlier, the approach to Dallas going north on 35, simply amazing.  I hope Charlotte continues to mature and one day fills a horizon with skyline.  Anyway I'll throw some pics up this weekend.  Texas has some great road infrastructure and guess what? Lots of toll roads.....I'm tired and roadlagged.

• Like 2