Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

Charlotte video of the day, great shots of Uptown in this vid.

Some of the comments are positive toward the city and its cleanliness.  Unfortunately, some are hating on Charlotte. Here are some examples:

"Been there plenty of times. Charlotte does have a nice downtown but outside of that, it still feels like a large rural southern town. I seriously don’t understand the hype about Charlotte."

"Same, I am from Asheville and go there a bunch but it usually disappoints. Raleigh and even Greensboro are way cooler and so was Asheville before it became this lame hipster mecca. Charlotte's inner city is crammed into a couple blocks with some urban neighborhoods around it but it quickly becomes this boring southern suburban area. I thought Charlotte was some huge city as a kid but after going to places like Chicago, NYC, Philly, etc it feels so small and uncultured."

It really annoys me when uninformed people dog this city. If I were to live in any city, I would hands down choose Charlotte over any other.

Source

• Like 4

That's an awesome photo.  Are there more of the Park Road area?  That dogleg bend to the left (at bottom of the page) must be near where the Red Cross building is now.  I can see my dad out there in the field shooting quail  He would've been 13 when this photo was taken.  He grew up hunting all around there. (Born on Princeton Ave)

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

That's an awesome photo.  Are there more of the Park Road area?  That dogleg bend to the left (at bottom of the page) must be near where the Red Cross building is now.  I can see my dad out there in the field shooting quail  He would've been 13 when this photo was taken.  He grew up hunting all around there. (Born on Princeton Ave)

Seems like that team is working on adding these photos to their time machine as they have time. Right now it's just back to 1978: http://timemachine.mcmap.org/#16.29/35.215965/-80.861108

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

Seems like that team is working on adding these photos to their time machine as they have time. Right now it's just back to 1978: http://timemachine.mcmap.org/#16.29/35.215965/-80.861108

Did Carowinds have some kind of monorail thing back then? There's what appears to be an elevated track of some kind winding around the park, across the parking lot and over toward where the shiny-new I-77 is. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Did Carowinds have some kind of monorail thing back then? There's what appears to be an elevated track of some kind winding around the park, across the parking lot and over toward where the shiny-new I-77 is. 

Oh yes one of little KJ's favorite rides I loved the monorail!  I heard it was sold many years ago and went to Mexico at a hotel there. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Oh yes one of little KJ's favorite rides I loved the monorail!  I heard it was sold many years ago and went to Mexico at a hotel there. 

It was pretty cool.  At one point there was discussion about running it uptown.  That might have been where Bruton Smith got the idea to run one out to his speedway prior to the light rail.

I still don't understand the disdain for monorails.  It's un-obtrusive and has a small footprint.  In the case of Carowinds, probably a boat-load cheaper since that one was basically steel girders.

• Like 2

The now leafy parts of Dilworth, Mt Vernon, Berkeley, Dilworth roads and with houses but bare of trees. Note the rail line goes to downtown and the sidings and loading docks at Third Street with the white covered landing near top right, a legacy of cotton in our area. Cotton brokers, factors, and graders met the goods there, did their work then it was transported onward. Great photo and thanks.

• Like 4