Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s amazing.  

I predict that in 20 years, when  Charlotteans living in 1,200’ Peninsula, Mandarin, and St. Regis hotel/condos look back at photos from 2019, they’ll be astounded by the change.

can't wait to ride my unicorn to my penthouse in the Peninsula. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Atlanta has these places.  I don't see why Charlotte can't.  I have faith in the Queen.

Actually they only have one of those places, a St. Regis. The mandarin oriental is now a Waldorf. But I digress. They are a state capital, in a state that literally focuses on piling as many amenities, whether convention, airport, sports, corporate headquarters, anything, all in Atlanta. It has no competition what so ever. We have to compete with Raleigh, and will never have the convention business Atlanta has. Not unless the state gets very liberal, very fast.

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Actually they only have one of those places, a St. Regis. The mandarin oriental is now a Waldorf. But I digress. They are a state capital, in a state that literally focuses on piling as many amenities, whether convention, airport, sports, corporate headquarters, anything, all in Atlanta. It has no competition what so ever. We have to compete with Raleigh, and will never have the convention business Atlanta has. Not unless the state gets very liberal, very fast.

Where are they going to put anything else? There is no other city in GA that can support the amount of convention business ATL has. Also, many of the amenities that are in Atlanta today (aquarium, the High, the zoo, etc) have all been generously funded by or given donations from the families with corporate ties in the area.  I mean last year the Woodruff Foundation pledged 400 million in donations to Emory.

In fairness, at least the state fair is in Perry Georgia and not in  ATL. Columbus also has Aflac, TSYS (soon to merge with an ATL company), and Synovus so it has very good corporate presence for a city its size. Savannah and Brunswick are also larger ports than anything in SC or NC.

As I digress, nobody in ATL is evily scheming how we can steal Aflac from Columbus or how we can miraculously move the port of Savannah to ATL. We all want the rest of Georgia to succeed and do well. When the countless cities and counties in GA do well, Atlanta does well and vice versa. 

Edited by Ric0_0

5 minutes ago, Ric0_0 said:

Where are they going to put anything else? There is no other city in GA that can support the amount of convention business ATL has. Also, many of the amenities that are in Atlanta today (aquarium, the High, the zoo, etc) have all been generously funded by or given donations from the families with corporate ties in the area.  I mean last year the Woodruff Foundation pledged 400 million in donations to Emory.

In fairness, at least the state fair is in Perry Georgia and not in  ATL. Columbus also has Aflac, TSYS (soon to merge with an ATL company), and Synovus so it has very good corporate presence for a city its size. Savannah and Brunswick are also larger ports than anything in SC or NC.

As I digress, nobody in ATL is evily scheming how we can steal Aflac from Columbus or how we can miraculously move the port of Savannah to ATL. We all want the rest of Georgia to succeed and do well. When the countless cities and counties in GA do well, Atlanta does well and vice versa. 

Exactly my point. Atlanta is in a game all its own, no competition, so it gets everything. They also have so many huge universities. 

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Exactly my point. Atlanta is in a game all its own, no competition, so it gets everything. They also have so many huge universities. 

Actually, universities are quite and interresting thing in Atlanta that a lot of universities could learn from. Georgia Tech used to never be as strong as it used to be in engineering and business, but the students, professors, and leadership in recent years have greatly increased the rigor and quality of classes. In addition, UGA has grown tenfold as a university and it now almost cracks into the top 50 for US News (Ik it's nowhere near accurate, but still). UGA in the 80's and 90's was a laughing stock. Literally anyone could get in. Nowadays, it's easier for GA residents to get into Emory than UGA. 

If you combine the might of The Triangle, the Triad, and Charlotte, they compare very favorably with each other. 

NC actually wins by a crushing blow when you combine the three areas because you have Duke, UNC, NC State, and Wake Forest. 

Edited by Ric0_0

14 minutes ago, Ric0_0 said:

Actually, universities are quite and interresting thing in Atlanta that a lot of universities could learn from. Georgia Tech used to never be as strong as it used to be in engineering and business, but the students, professors, and leadership in recent years have greatly increased the rigor and quality of classes. In addition, UGA has grown tenfold as a university and it now almost cracks into the top 50 for US News (Ik it's nowhere near accurate, but still). UGA in the 80's and 90's was a laughing stock. Literally anyone could get in. Nowadays, it's easier for GA residents to get into Emory than UGA. 

If you combine the might of The Triangle, the Triad, and Charlotte, they compare very favorably with each other. 

NC actually wins by a crushing blow when you combine the three areas because you have Duke, UNC, NC State, and Wake Forest. 

and UNCC :-). Its getting way better. I think Charlotte's biggest shortcoming is higher education, and its the State's fault.

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

and UNCC :-). Its getting way better. I think Charlotte's biggest shortcoming is higher education, and its the State's fault.

Mhmm... The miracle to higher education in GA are the Hope and Zell Miller scholarships. These scholarships greatly reduce the cost of education which is already pretty inexpensive in state. With another huge cost reduction, top talent tends to stay in the state and attend UGA of Tech. If NC could do something like this, the ENTIRE university system would improve. I myself can't believe how places such as GA State, Kennesaw State, etc. have improved so much in the past couple of years. 

20 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Having lived in both Charlotte and the Triangle, the impact of the universities in the Triangle is remarkable.   I prefer Charlotte, but there's a very erudite atmosphere here which is more prevalent than in Charlotte (and most other cities for that matter).  It's almost like a mini-Cambridge, Massachusetts.  That being said, for a tiny area like Chapel Hill-Durham to have two universities of the caliber of Duke and UNC is almost unparalleled, and it makes Chapel Hill-Durham unique and special.  Also, since it’s only two hours from Charlotte, I think that NC’s universities are a selling point for the whole state.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

Also interesting is that you have the big universities that are respected individually for health, business, law, etc...Many of NC's premier institutions are spread amongst many of our smaller communities.  Elon in Elon, Davidson in Davidson, High Point in High Point and Campbell in....Buies Creek. :shades: The higher education wealth is spread pretty evenly in NC where GA's top schools are ATL centric. Big shout out to SCAD in Savannah, a beast. In the future it would be wise to enhance our transportation options along our "spine," to expand on the regional partnerships ,that are crucial to any multi nodal metro, to include the entire Crescent to better market the state in job, talent recruitment and compete with the Big Peach, the Big SXSW, the Big Banjo and the Big Oil Derick(s). I doubt I would live long enough to see it but high speed rail would put us on another level. I'm 5 years old. While the rest of the South spends a quarter of their workdays in traffic, we and maybe Upstate SC would have the option to transit effortlessly between train, bus, air,....electric scooter from Anderson to Greenville, NC. If only leaders could recognize the potential of such an investment. Twenty years from now, lack of mobility within a city and its environs will cripple a city's chance at recruiting new industry. Once realized, leaders will be tripping over each other to expand upon our superior transportation network. At least by southern standards. Ceasing tangential imagination protocols.  The potential is just exciting. 

8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Why is the lake at Freedom Park so green?  I know there was a lot rain last night but....

Fixed it for ya haha.

Image-1-1.jpg.1ad79164ab894f2aa320dc8763f98eb2.jpg

Edited by Guest