Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

On 10/29/2019 at 8:07 AM, SentioVenia said:

Charlotte skyline visible yesterday from Pilot Ridge Overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway, milepost 301.8.  (Photo credit: Skip Sickler.)

image.thumb.png.66aa8e40e52c212145a5222b5906aea4.png

This photo is blowing my mind.  Is the skyline visible like that with the naked eye and no telescope or binoculars?  That's a distance of about 131 miles as the crow flies!

Pilot Ridge to Charlotte.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

This photo is blowing my mind.  Is the skyline visible like that with the naked eye and no telescope or binoculars?  That's a distance of about 131 miles as the crow flies!

Can you trust the weather man?  He says it's only 80 miles, and yes, visible.

https://k1047.com/2019/10/30/viral-post-you-can-see-charlotte-skyline-from-blue-ridge-parkway/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok riddle me this.....math problem for the day to go with picture of the day. Using some simple (well somewhat simple math), how are we able to see the ENTIRE skyline of Charlotte from nearly 100 miles away when accounting for the curvature of the Earth? 

Here’s your calculator so you can cheat! Ha! Not to be conspiratorial, but on a round Earth (based on Nasa’s Dimensions)  this could not be true. Hmmmmmmmm....:ph34r:

http://earthcurvature.com/

ps——I’m not wearing a tin foil hat, so no poking fun at A2, just asking some of our math geeks to chime in. I’m a math guy and I can actually show you some even more head scratching examples. Not going Flat Earth on ya’,  just saying. 

PSS——Awesome shots !!! Just gave me my new screensaver for the next month!

Edited by A2.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I don't know how to do that math about views of the skyline from our mountains but here is some photos of the lowlands of Charlotte on this cloudy day. 

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

IMG_6390.JPG

IMG_6394.JPG

Lol, it’s probably too early for math, but my eyes are working pretty well and they spy some nice pics!!! Nice work as always KJ! 

For what it’s worth I actually like the gray skyline shots.

A2

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, A2. said:

Ok riddle me this.....math problem for the day to go with picture of the day. Using some simple (well somewhat simple math), how are we able to see the ENTIRE skyline of Charlotte from nearly 100 miles away when accounting for the curvature of the Earth? 

Here’s your calculator so you can cheat! Ha! Not to be conspiratorial, but on a round Earth (based on Nasa’s Dimensions)  this could not be true. Hmmmmmmmm....:ph34r:

http://earthcurvature.com/

ps——I’m not wearing a tin foil hat, so no poking fun at A2, just asking some of our math geeks to chime in. I’m a math guy and I can actually show you some even more head scratching examples. Not going Flat Earth on ya’,  just saying. 

PSS——Awesome shots !!! Just gave me my new screensaver for the next month!

Yeah, it's mind-blowing.  One argument I read for it was a Superior Mirage, although all the images that come up on a Google image search are nowhere close to the clarity of the Charlotte skyline shots above.

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, CLTranspo said:

For example at Mt Mitchell, at 88.4 miles away, the drop in curvature of the earth should be 5211 feet according to the calculator you linked. However Mt Mitchell is at 6684 feet elevation, and Trade & Tryon lies at 746 feet elevation. The difference in elevation is approx 5938 feet, compensating for the curvature of the earth with about 727 feet to spare. Even if the relative elevation couldn’t completely compensate for the curvature of the earth at some mountains located at even greater distances, you could still see the tops of some buildings. (BofA is 871 feet tall). 

The above is an over simplified explanation. Looking into actual line of sight calculations that take the curvature of the earth into account,

The equation for the distance to the visible horizon in miles is 1.23 x the square root of the observer’s height in feet. Using the relative height I mentioned between Mt Mitchell and uptown Charlotte (5938 feet), the visible horizon would be ~94 miles. That is greater than the distance of 88.4 miles and doesn’t even take into account the height of uptown’s buildings above the ground level. 

Someone has some math skills. Love it. I’m a geek for this kind of stuff. That said I will throw you a bit of a curve ball. The above shots were not taken from the summit. I know in most of the shots I have seen they are from the Parkway, which is considerably less high. So with that variable missing it’s near impossible to do the math accurately. That said, in the shots above we are seeing nearly ALL of the skyline,

a better example that is a much better one mathematically, is the view of the Chicago skyline from across Lake Michigan. There is zero difference in elevation, but on a clear day the skyline can be seen entirely from across this massive body of water. 

This is from 68 miles away with not a single foot of elevation change. 

1286912A-6DD0-45D0-8CD5-C59A1CA47CBE.jpeg

Another thought is how does water stay on a ball that spins? Lol 

lastly, why don’t we see Stars in ANY shots from the international space station? Without any atmospheric interference wouldn’t we be able to see ten times as many, yet it’s always black as night. Hmmmmm

46220C12-149C-4660-A5A9-2F472E51DE2C.jpeg

ok... I’m geeking out now with my Tinfoil hat. Hahahaha

but seriously, thanks for humoring me and getting my neurons firing!

ok, now back to great pics of the QC! Didn’t  mean to hijack my favorite thread. 

:wub:

A2

Edited by A2.
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, A2. said:

why don’t we see Stars in ANY shots from the international space station? Without any atmospheric interference wouldn’t we be able to see ten times as many, yet it’s always black as night. Hmmmmm

46220C12-149C-4660-A5A9-2F472E51DE2C.jpeg

Well duh, it's clearly daytime for those astronauts, that's why you don't see any stars.

Honest answer, though, I think it's because the camera lens is stopped all the way down for the ultra-white spacesuits and clouds, resulting in the comparatively dimmer stars to be eliminated.

13 minutes ago, SentioVenia said:

Well duh, it's clearly daytime for those astronauts, that's why you don't see any stars.

Honest answer, though, I think it's because the camera lens is stopped all the way down for the ultra-white spacesuits and clouds, resulting in the comparatively dimmer stars to be eliminated.

Lol. I hear ya. So here is a quick vid of the ISS going from day to night. Still not one star. 

Ok back to shots of QC,  night or day is fine with me on those. :tw_glasses:

Edited by A2.

15 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Mr. and Mrs. Davis:

Ricky shows so much potential but he lacks effort focussed on his class studies. His drawings and crayons are always more important than Math and Spelling. If he could focus on his work every day he could be an A student. Please ask him to participate with his classmates and not be so concerned with entertaining them. 

Thank you

Thelma Comstock, Third grade teacher

Every social media account has to have a little bit of levity.

3 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

We've been needing to convene for a while so we can update Agenda 21 progress. 

Oh Lord! :tw_lol:

(Note to self: remember to bring papers on the updated Agenda 2030 plan to mtg) 

Edited by A2.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, A2. said:

lastly, why don’t we see Stars in ANY shots from the international space station? Without any atmospheric interference wouldn’t we be able to see ten times as many, yet it’s always black as night. Hmmmmm

Its the same principal as not seeing stars when its sunny outside. There is as much direct sunlight in those pictures as there is on a sunny day. The camera is taking a photo with fast exposure and narrow aperture, adjusting for the sun exposed earth or moon, thus making the stars not able to be seen. Its apparently hard to see the stars as a result in space. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A2. said:

Lol. I hear ya. So here is a quick vid of the ISS going from day to night. Still not one star. 

Ok back to shots of QC,  night or day is fine with me on those. :tw_glasses:

You didn't make it far enough into the video, theres a lot of stars 

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You didn't make it far enough into the video, theres a lot of stars 

Good CGI, lol

26 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Its the same principal as not seeing stars when its sunny outside. There is as much direct sunlight in those pictures as there is on a sunny day. The camera is taking a photo with fast exposure and narrow aperture, adjusting for the sun exposed earth or moon, thus making the stars not able to be seen. Its apparently hard to see the stars as a result in space. 

Last question, why do all astronauts always take a selfie facing earth ? Please find one where they are taking a selfie looking into the abyss of space. I’ve tried. 

Edited by A2.
  • Like 1