Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

15 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

And even when the background is dark, there is still sunlight coming onto the subject in the picture. I'm not even sure you could photograph the dark side of the moon, otherwise its constant daylight.

3 minutes ago, A2. said:

Lol! This is true. But I’m looking for the Abyss with stars. I’ve yet to see one 

sun reflecting off the of the astronaut would make that impossible. To be able to get the stars in the background you'd have to do a very long exposure, which would make the astronaut be completely blown out highlight wise. 

I suggest you go outside, put a giant spotlight on you, and try to take a selfie with the night sky behind you. won't be any stars then either.

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

And even when the background is dark, there is still sunlight coming onto the subject in the picture. I'm not even sure you could photograph the dark side of the moon, otherwise its constant daylight.

I love you guys to much to “red pill” everyone on UP. Suffice it to say, not everything we see is all it’s cracked up to be. 

I hate shattering minds and paradigms. Sometimes not knowing is better. Oh the times we shall have if I can make one of those UP outings!  These things and many more shall we talk about. One things for sure, you will either walk away saying I’m totally nuts or perhaps, I might just take the veil away.  

In the meantime, keep the QC pics rolling! This is something that we can all agree on as being legit! :)

A2

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

sun reflecting off the of the astronaut would make that impossible. To be able to get the stars in the background you'd have to do a very long exposure, which would make the astronaut be completely blown out highlight wise. 

I suggest you go outside, put a giant spotlight on you, and try to take a selfie with the night sky behind you. won't be any stars then either.

That’s true. But with the months on the ISS couldn’t they just once take a shot into space. Think of the Hubble, it sends pics all the time (or so we’re led to believe), and it has the same sun exposing the supposed space that is inhibiting the same astronaut from taking the same shot. 

In other words, why can the Hubble take shots and the astronaut can’t in the same lighting???? 

Edited by A2.
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, A2. said:

In other words, why can the Hubble take shots and the astronaut can’t in the same lighting???? 

because the Hubble is taking photos away from the sun... the stars in the background are casting their own light into space. There is nothing in the photo for the sun, behind Hubble, to reflect the sun back. This is really simple dude.

I suggest taking a photography class to understand to be honest. 

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

because the Hubble is taking photos away from the sun... the stars in the background are casting their own light into space. There is nothing in the photo for the sun, behind Hubble, to reflect the sun back. This is really simple dude.

Lol, I totally get that. It’s basic photography 101. But, like the Hubble,  the ISS doesn’t just stay in the line of the sun all the time. In all the years I have yet to see an astronaut take a deep space pic when these so called conditions were available. That’s all I’m saying. :P

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

and when will you be teaching this class here in Charlotte?  I will bring a couple dozen KK doughnuts and bring some KK coffee too? 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, A2. said:

Lol, I totally get that. It’s basic photography 101. But, like the Hubble,  the ISS doesn’t just stay in the line of the sun all the time. In all the years I have yet to see an astronaut take a deep space pic when these so called conditions were available. That’s all I’m saying. :P

At this point not sure if you are just trolling. For one thing, its really hard to take photos of stars (try it tonight with your camera phone), especially in a vehicle circling the earth, constantly moving vs a well lit planet. Not to mention, who wants to take photos of stas, when you can take pictures of where you came from.

image.thumb.png.c6e1c4aa984a61172ba63cf141caa2e8.png

image.thumb.png.ef0186cb9780f069d3b928c69fee2baa.png

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

and when will you be teaching this class here in Charlotte?  I will bring a couple dozen KK doughnuts and bring some KK coffee too? 

Count me in. However, I will be just coming for the KK doughnuts and slideshows of the QC. 

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

At this point not sure if you are just trolling. For one thing, its really hard to take photos of stars (try it tonight with your camera phone), especially in a vehicle circling the earth, constantly moving vs a well lit planet. Not to mention, who wants to take photos of stas, when you can take pictures of where you came from.

These I’ve seen, I just want to see them with an astronaut in the pic 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I’m not trolling, just challenging you a bit. Don’t sweat it RDF, truly .  I love ya brother! This is something way to silly to squabble over. What i would love to see you post is another Halloween pic of the day photoshopping something to pay homage to Levine’s parking deck. Now that will be a picture! :)

A2

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, A2. said:

Count me in. However, I will be just coming for the KK doughnuts and slideshows of the QC. 

These I’ve seen, I just want to see them with an astronaut in the pic 

in order to take that photo, the astronaut would need to be in complete shadow, so it'd look like this.

image.thumb.png.8908353d77839702b9c562540fb1b0f0.png

2 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

B3B1F222-B40D-4853-9CCC-BE02181D15FE.jpeg

380E6B95-3C19-4446-A8B4-B5F42A7CF72A.jpeg

Can you say density!?

nice shots, again love the gray .......

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

in order to take that photo, the astronaut would need to be in complete shadow, so it'd look like this.

image.thumb.png.8908353d77839702b9c562540fb1b0f0.png

Too me that would be worthy of hanging on the wall. Looks pretty good to me! 

Edited by A2.
  • Like 3

On 10/31/2019 at 8:09 AM, SentioVenia said:

Yeah, it's mind-blowing.  One argument I read for it was a Superior Mirage, although all the images that come up on a Google image search are nowhere close to the clarity of the Charlotte skyline shots above.

A2 raised a great question about the curvature of the earth at that distance, for which CLTranspo gave a superb explanation.  But that's not even the issue that was boggling my mind so much.  It was just the fact of being able to see something so far away, even in spite of the curvature of the earth.  For example, when I'm in an airplane looking out the window, big buildings suddenly seem so small.  And that's only a distance of 30,000 feet away -- less than six miles -- not some 88 miles away.  Similarly, I've never understood how astronauts say they can see the Great Wall of China.  While the wall is very long, is relatively narrow, so one would think the visibility of it would disappear at such a great distance.  But I was unaware of this concept of a "superior mirage."  Your suggestion of this sent me researching it a bit.  If I'm understanding it correctly, conditions in the atmosphere magnify the size of objects in the distance making them become more visible than they would be otherwise, sort of like an atmospheric magnifying glass.  Is that a correct interpretation of a superior mirage?

• Like 3