Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

6 hours ago, JacksonH said:

A2 raised a great question about the curvature of the earth at that distance, for which CLTranspo gave a superb explanation.  But that's not even the issue that was boggling my mind so much.  It was just the fact of being able to see something so far away, even in spite of the curvature of the earth.  For example, when I'm in an airplane looking out the window, big buildings suddenly seem so small.  And that's only a distance of 30,000 feet away -- less than six miles -- not some 88 miles away.  Similarly, I've never understood how astronauts say they can see the Great Wall of China.  While the wall is very long, is relatively narrow, so one would think the visibility of it would disappear at such a great distance.  But I was unaware of this concept of a "superior mirage."  Your suggestion of this sent me researching it a bit.  If I'm understanding it correctly, conditions in the atmosphere magnify the size of objects in the distance making them become more visible than they would be otherwise, sort of like an atmospheric magnifying glass.  Is that a correct interpretation of a superior mirage?

Yep your understanding of superior image is pretty spot on. 

As for the great Wall of China, it's actually not visible from the ISS. That's a common myth. But the great pyramids of giza and a few other mega-projects around the world are.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Yep your understanding of superior image is pretty spot on. 

As for the great Wall of China, it's actually not visible from the ISS. That's a common myth. But the great pyramids of giza and a few other mega-projects around the world are.

Thank you, Nick!

23 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

131km is correct...

Silly me.  I just went and looked again and yes, it's KM, not miles.  I need to pay more attention.  Thank you.

• Like 1

1. Bryant Park and various spots in FreeMore area   2. Central bridge over Independence Blvd,  3.  near the silos on 277    4. coming over the S Tryon bridge into uptown   5. corner of Randolph and Wendover as the skyline rises above the trees  6. Romare Bearden park for the density shot    Just a list of some of my favorite spots. 

and a couple more places I can not disclose. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1