Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

So, there is an elevated plaza or pavilion above the lake at Marshall Park in the photo from 1979, and part of a walkway across 3rd connecting the education center and county building.

I can't remember it, so wondering when it was removed.  Any detailed pictures of it?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Hi everyone. I am not sure where to put this, but I have been following this forum for a while. It looks like I am getting a job at a new financial firm moving to Charlotte, who will be growing their presence over the next 5 years. I live in Durham, and haven't been to Charlotte too much. Can anyone tell me what the commute is like to uptown along Providence Rd from 485? Google has it anywhere from 25 minutes to an Hour around 7:30. 

Also, if this is off topic and should be moved else where, just let me know. 

Providence is going to be really rough no matter how you cut it. It's the most suburban part of Charlotte, so everyone is in their SUV in the morning. There are a few express bus routes down that way if you want to let someone else deal with the driving, though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

So, there is an elevated plaza or pavilion above the lake at Marshall Park in the photo from 1979, and part of a walkway across 3rd connecting the education center and county building.

I can't remember it, so wondering when it was removed.  Any detailed pictures of it?

Yes there was an elevated walkway over to the courthouse over 3rd St.  It was like huge concrete ramps and they were never maintained it and finally was taken down when I don't remember. I might have a postcard of it too Marshall Park was very nice back in the day not that concrete ramps but the rest of it. 

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

Hi everyone. I am not sure where to put this, but I have been following this forum for a while. It looks like I am getting a job at a new financial firm moving to Charlotte, who will be growing their presence over the next 5 years. I live in Durham, and haven't been to Charlotte too much. Can anyone tell me what the commute is like to uptown along Providence Rd from 485? Google has it anywhere from 25 minutes to an Hour around 7:30. 

It is probably anywhere from 45 minutes to hour in peak traffic.  However 15 minutes difference could make a big difference and less time so maybe go in early and have a cup of coffee uptown or work out at the Y uptown before work.  Or take a bus into town as they do have express buses from there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

Curious about the new firm.  Is this a firm that currently has an office here?  What type of financial company?  Bank?  Asset Manager? Insurance? Data provider?

Providence is definitely an hour in the morning if leaving around 8:00.  Maybe 45-50 mins if leaving by 7:30.  Afternoons can be 10-15 mins longer especially if leaving anytime between 5 and 6pm.

• Like 2