Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

I hope no one was out at Carowinds today taking photos... Fox Charlotte just reported two men were arrested for "suspicious activities" which included taking photos of Carowinds from outside the grounds, and photos of the bank towers on their memory card.

Guess we should all be detained...

I hope no one was out at Carowinds today taking photos... Fox Charlotte just reported two men were arrested for "suspicious activities" which included taking photos of Carowinds from outside the grounds, and photos of the bank towers on their memory card.

Guess we should all be detained...

Photography is *NOT* a crime if you're taking the photos from a public space such as a sidewalk or a public road. It is depressing to hear that individuals are arrested or even questioned for expressing their creativity. I really wish that public officials were aware of the laws that they enforce, but unfortunately America is in a state of mind where if you're seen taking a picture of a building you're automatically labeled as a terrorist.

Legally the system can't detain anyone for taking a picture from a public sidewalk, road, etc.

Photography is *NOT* a crime if you're taking the photos from a public space such as a sidewalk or a public road. It is depressing to hear that individuals are arrested or even questioned for expressing their creativity. I really wish that public officials were aware of the laws that they enforce, but unfortunately America is in a state of mind where if you're seen taking a picture of a building you're automatically labeled as a terrorist.

Legally the system can't detain anyone for taking a picture from a public sidewalk, road, etc.

There was an implication that the men were on Carowinds property, perhaps where they shouldn't have been otherwise. Like standing outside the barbed wire fencing or something like that. It wasn't made clear in the report.

But I do take your point and excersize that right frequently. Some security officer tried to stop me from photographing BofAs crappy little office building out by Johnson & Wales. I was actually there to photograph J&W, but that made me vindictive so I took photos of their building anyway.

Did you go to Pikes for a milk shake after you took the last picture?

No, but we took enough pics and walked around enough this weekend that I am sure we passed by some UP'ers along the way.

I am curious about the Carowinds picture taking "incident", I mean, who wouldn't have the towers/skyline on their cards? I'd probably take pics of the amusement park too if I felt my camera safe enough to bring along. Regardless, this is all unnecesary because if someone wanted to attack these places and was committed enough, then a whole different level of diligence would be required to stop them. Like blocking the access of cars to DT entirely. And how urban a concept...

I'm sure there is more to the story that hasn't yet been released. I believe that authorities have more common sense than some people like to give them credit for. How often does this happen, relatively speaking?

This happens VERY frequently in my experience. I have been asked on several occasions to have photos I took from a public sidewalk deleted from my camera. There are hundreds of reports on the Internet about folks getting taken to the police station only to be let go because they couldn't hold them (since they didn't do anything wrong).

Here's an excellent story from someone I follow regularly: http://thomashawk.com/2006/06/photographin...e-is-still.html

Yes...that's the Dilworth Crescent townhouse project off of Mt. Vernon....really an incredible view.....This was also a Jim Gross project (same developer as The Arlington), though this was much less maligned.

^ Wow....umm..thanks 28202 for stealing my thunder ;)

Dilworth Crescent, corner of Mt. Vernon and Dilworth Rd., built by Simonini, developed by none other than Jim Gross of the"Big Pink" fame.

That's the property that was once owned by Temple Israel before they moved to the Shalom Park on Providence Road. It's a great skyline view.