Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

11 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

No disrespect and I’m not suggesting removing the cemetery, but Elmwood would make one hell of a “Central Park” for CLT and would also connect the Music Factory a lot better to Uptown. 

Maybe twenty years ago Richard and Noah Lazes, the developers of Music Factory property, were landlocked and made a proposal to City Council to make a public street through Elmwood, street lights, some grave removals included, to function for their property. A Council member asked why they had to have a public discussion and vote on such a ludicrous issue when staff should have made clear this was absolutely wrong-headed. Nonetheless, after a few seconds of "discussion" it was rejected. The Lazes then opted for the access off Graham Street they now have which serves them well with a stoplight, signage and everything they need. I believe they paid for much of that improvement themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to be clear, bc I see the sad face and confused face lol...I do not want Elmwood cemetery to go anywhere, but rather stating that while technically still inside 277, this is the largest green space by far in Uptown. Anyone who has ever taken a stroll in here knows just how large it is and the fantastic views it has.  That’s all I was pointing out. 

As far as connectivity to the music factory, that was an interesting tidbit about the proposed street...didn’t know that. Even though MF isn’t that far, it doesn’t appear to be a place many people walk to from Uptown. Most Uber or park in the garage. I think the quickest way is to cut through the cemetery, but it spits you out at the abandon warehouses where there’s a homeless camp back there (Johnson St). The train track that runs parallel to MF Blvd also creates accessibility issues too. Hopefully they develop that area where the warehouses are though. They already demoed one of the buildings, could be cool if they renovate that old steel co warehouse into something. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 11:14 AM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

As far as connectivity to the music factory, that was an interesting tidbit about the proposed street...didn’t know that. Even though MF isn’t that far, it doesn’t appear to be a place many people walk to from Uptown. Most Uber or park in the garage. I think the quickest way is to cut through the cemetery, but it spits you out at the abandon warehouses where there’s a homeless camp back there (Johnson St). The train track that runs parallel to MF Blvd also creates accessibility issues too. Hopefully they develop that area where the warehouses are though. They already demoed one of the buildings, could be cool if they renovate that old steel co warehouse into something. 

Used to make that walk when I lived off 5th a couple years ago. Always led to some interesting interactions with the characters hanging around the warehouses.