Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

So, around this point of construction my friend and little cousin were just hanging out uptown when I had a great idea. "Hey! Lets go to the top!" So, that's exactly what we did. We hopped onto the elevator with a few  construction workers, decked out in all their PPE.  As we were whisked up into the sky, one by one the elevator emptied until it was just us. Then the ride stops, before the doors opened, the sound of wind was already clearly heard. The doors slid open and we were then immediately greeted by howls and a sight very few have ever seen. Charlotte from over 800 feet in the air. And we weren't flying. Like I said, this picture is pretty close to where the building was structure wise at that time. The windows were not - I repeat - were NOT installed yet. My friend wasn't anywhere near as excited as I was. Before I knew it, I was looking over the edge... Crazy right!? 
Just when the idea of how dangerous our adventure was setting in a panicked voice yells out, "How did you kids get up here!? You're gonna get all of us fired!" Somehow it was like he had all three of us by the ear walking us back to the elevator. But, before he sent us down he gave us a nugget of info I'll never forget. He said, "if one of you were to jump before we headed back down, the elevator is so fast the rest of us would make it down soon enough to see the landing." Also crazy!
Anyway, sorry for the long post. This picture just brought that memory back up.

That sounds like a true story you made up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Urban Decay okay (SUB)urban decay.  The old PTL timeshare tower 20 stories in Fort Mill just rotting away after being started almost if not more than 30 years ago.  Taken by my pro friend today.   story from 2019  https://www.fortmillsun.com/2019/01/21/ptls-unfinished-tower-15-photos-you-havent-seen/

and no Levine properties had nothing to do with this one.  

PTLtower.jpg

I live only a few miles from the old PTL site. Really sad to see this in decay.

• Like 4

Just now, PeytonC said:

Haha I was just reading about the specifics so I can try. I only have lenses that go up to 300mm so I'm not going to get anything with great detail. I know of some folks in here with top-notch equipment that should try

I am planning on trying to. My largest lens only goes up to 200mm. Trying to figure out a few places in the area that might be ideal to try to photograph it.

13 hours ago, nashbill said:

I've always said that I wanted to live somewhere where palm trees grow naturally.  Guess I don't have to move.

They grow in NC naturally but I don’t think on this side. Lol maybe a good bit more east. 

• Like 1