Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

3 hours ago, j-man said:

They grow in NC naturally but I don’t think on this side. Lol maybe a good bit more east. 

They are coastal- a few species grow naturally in the southeast coastal plain of NC, but the further north you go, the more they are actually brought in, as opposed to natural growth- same with Spanish moss, which pretty much stops growing at all just past the VA border. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

They are coastal- a few species grow naturally in the southeast coastal plain of NC, but the further north you go, the more they are actually brought in, as opposed to natural growth- same with Spanish moss, which pretty much stops growing at all just past the VA border. 

Interesting. Didn’t know the moss stopped there. Thought it was in Virginia heavily. And speaking on this subjective, I for one don’t like that they are bringing a huge live oak from SC to the Ally development. Seems like it would look so out of place. I think maybe a tree from the natural habitat around Charlotte would look more in place. Just my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, j-man said:

Interesting. Didn’t know the moss stopped there. Thought it was in Virginia heavily. And speaking on this subjective, I for one don’t like that they are bringing a huge live oak from SC to the Ally development. Seems like it would look so out of place. I think maybe a tree from the natural habitat around Charlotte would look more in place. Just my opinion. 

There are actually plenty of live oaks here in Charlotte, and the Charlotte area. They need a sprawling tree to fit the design, and a live oak can naturally live here fine. The only issue I have is they get really large- I wonder if they are designing enough room for its roots when it gets older.  But a live oak certainly doesn’t look out of place in a southern city, in my opinion. They could even put Spanish moss in it, and the moss will last all summer long until the air becomes too dry. 

10 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

There are actually plenty of live oaks here in Charlotte, and the Charlotte area. They need a sprawling tree to fit the design, and a live oak can naturally live here fine. The only issue I have is they get really large- I wonder if they are designing enough room for its roots when it gets older.  But a live oak certainly doesn’t look out of place in a southern city, in my opinion. They could even put Spanish moss in it, and the moss will last all summer long until the air becomes too dry. 

Yeah I know there are oaks but if the oaks in Charlotte were so prominate I’m sure they’d just get one from here. I think the Spanish moss would throw me off so that’s moreso what I’m talking about because moss really doesn’t grow too far from really swampy areas. You know. That’s why moss is so prominent in states below N.C. but yeah I saw the hole that they have for the tree and I’m like...I hope you all know that the tree will probably crack the concrete in years to come and I worry that the tree would just die after planting it becuase that happens often and that would be a waste of such an old beauty. Not trying to sound negative but I heard just last week of two girls that were literally killed because a branch off of an oak tree fell and crushed them and it was in SC. So I’m thinking of things like that when you just replant something so huge. 

Edited by j-man

53 minutes ago, j-man said:

Yeah I know there are oaks but if the oaks in Charlotte were so prominate I’m sure they’d just get one from here. I think the Spanish moss would throw me off so that’s moreso what I’m talking about because moss really doesn’t grow too far from really swampy areas. You know. That’s why moss is so prominent in states below N.C. but yeah I saw the hole that they have for the tree and I’m like...I hope you all know that the tree will probably crack the concrete in years to come and I worry that the tree would just die after planting it becuase that happens often and that would be a waste of such an old beauty. Not trying to sound negative but I heard just last week of two girls that were literally killed because a branch off of an oak tree fell and crushed them and it was in SC. So I’m thinking of things like that when you just replant something so huge. 

There are positive aspects to it, which outweigh the negative.  The tree will be beautiful, they live perfectly fine in Charlotte, as they are a native species in NC just 100 miles East- they keep their leaves all year long- and they create a beautiful canopy with swirling branches when they are mature. I highly doubt in a development such as this, that the one live oak tree will not get the maintainance it needs. But I agreee about the roots- I’m trusting the engineers took that into consideration with the design. 

Edited by JorgiPorgi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, j-man said:

There are about 80 live oak trees lining BofA Stadium for the last 25 years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I took this pic of a live oak off of Tyvola road in south Charlotte. It’s definitely a larger one. 

4DB41070-E152-415A-9AAC-4785F2C754EC.jpeg

Ally's will be smaller than this. the trunk will be around 18-22" thick from what I remember.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:46 PM, nashbill said:

When I first moved to Charlotte back in 1984, Charlotte Plaza building was one of the few taller buildings.  I took an immediately liking  to this building.  The black glass stepping up the building really sets it off.  After all these years it still remains one of my favorites.  Nice photo KJHburg.

I agree.  It's a very cool tower.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

can one of our drone folks grab a shot from this century for them?

I was going to say it can’t be that old because the light rail is open. But I guess it’s already been a few years it’s been open. Feels brand new. I left the city a few months after it opened so it still seems novel to me. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

26 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I was going to say it can’t be that old because the light rail is open. But I guess it’s already been a few years it’s been open. Feels brand new. I left the city a few months after it opened so it still seems novel to me. 

its only a few years but the lack of of The Ellis makes it conspicuous.