Charlotte Photo of the Day

1 hour ago, j-man said:

Yeah but that’s not due to sea level rising ... and that was my whole point I disagreed with him about. 

Over the next few decades, the seas will rise. How much they will is still under debate and uncertain. However the high tides will be compounded by an overall increase in levels. A 2 inch rise could result in an additional foot of high tide. Ask Charleston that regularly floods the historic district these days during standard high tide.

These facts coupled with coastal erosion and stronger/more frequent tropical activity will cause the cost of living on the coast to skyrocket. They're already seeing it with massive hurricane insursnce increases over the last couple of decades. And with the sea level rising, it's "infecting" the freshwater that is pulled from in wells to provide water to the coastal communities.

It doesn't matter if Miami has pumps or even dikes to save them from rising levels, their drinking water is already in severe danger of contamination.

• Thanks 2

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Source

Got a picture of possible the most gorgeous sunrise yesterday morning!

Loving my new job. Pix4D is processing orthomosaic of the area now, and 3d update to Google Maps coming soon. Should have some cool video together as well! Still learning lightroom so forgive me for t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

Over the next few decades, the seas will rise. How much they will is still under debate and uncertain. However the high tides will be compounded by an overall increase in levels. A 2 inch rise could result in an additional foot of high tide. Ask Charleston that regularly floods the historic district these days during standard high tide.

These facts coupled with coastal erosion and stronger/more frequent tropical activity will cause the cost of living on the coast to skyrocket. They're already seeing it with massive hurricane insursnce increases over the last couple of decades. And with the sea level rising, it's "infecting" the freshwater that is pulled from in wells to provide water to the coastal communities.

It doesn't matter if Miami has pumps or even dikes to save them from rising levels, their drinking water is already in severe danger of contamination.

Im originally from the Charleston area so none of what you’re saying is news to me. I don’t knew what you’re trying to prove but all I said was that I wouldn’t consider a gradual slow moving of people over the course of decades on to be considered a great migration, and especially because of sea levels rising. Sure have some people moved, but Its for sure not just because of sea level rising. Great migrations are when people drastically move to an area in a short amount of time not decades on down. And that’s my whole point. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 9:52 PM, JorgiPorgi said:

Historic Uptown Charlotte ;) 

A5C9A2AD-39FF-44AB-BF41-9A89AB2F3982.jpeg

One of my friends used to work at the far-end of that building for a Law Firm. She lives in NYC now but I send her pictures from time-to-time to show her how much the streetscape has changed

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Mgelbach said:

Charlotte's skyline is officially wide enough that I cant get the whole thing in one frame. Some of the cranes in South End didn't quite make it in.

Side Note: Does anyone have their Part 107 certification? I would love to get certified to be able to start selling prints of drone photos. (Not this one obviously)

DJI_0107-HDR.jpg

South End's skyline is only going to get taller. Crazy!

• Like 4