Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

Great aerial images, but man when you see Charlotte from above.... we are definitely a very sprawling and largely suburban metro. Relatively tiny stretch of density and then BOOM.... clearly suburban neighborhoods of largely SFH on relatively large lots  almost immediately. The aerials put into perspective how small our pockets of density are in relation to where 98%+ of the metro areas population lives in low density. Certainly different than the aerial images you see of dense cities like Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, et.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

Interestingly South End is going to run out of land very soon, so you will start to see apartment buildings from a couple of cycles ago start to get replaced. I met with someone this year who said they were approached about tearing down a South End Multifamily building to replace it with a couple of towers.

I could see that...apartment communities in South End going the way of the Colony in South Park.

• Like 2

What is an example of two cycles ago? Year(s) or building example.

1 hour ago, TheRealClayton said:

Interestingly South End is going to run out of land very soon, so you will start to see apartment buildings from a couple of cycles ago start to get replaced. I met with someone this year who said they were approached about tearing down a South End Multifamily building to replace it with a couple of towers.

• Like 1

You might be referring to Camden South or Mosaic South along S Tryon between Carson and Bland, so I could see Junction 1504 getting split up and redeveloped. It's a long stretch of garden style-apartments and surface parking.

Will be interesting if they redevelop 15 year old buildings in Southend before developing parking lots in Uptown. I can see it happening but I hope it doesn't. If the "corridor of crap" can be transformed into the current hot spot, it would seem that Uptown could be made cool (again).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, theronhobbs said:

You might be referring to Camden South or Mosaic South.... 

I've been thinking for a little while that both of these weren't long for this world.  I didn't think talks of replacement would happen so soon but I'm certainly not surprised.  When extensive exterior work is required only a few years after the building opens you have a problem.  I imagine maintenance in those two is considerably higher than it should be.  Wasn't there reports of leaking in one of these shortly after the first residents moved in? 

Looking at other mid-large cities like Denver and Portland on Google Earth, they have very extensive neighborhoods surrounding their downtowns with tons of high-density mid-rise buildings of all kinds. Charlotte South End is finally starting to look like that too. I think it will rival some of those districts within the next 10 years.

• Like 2