Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

Not sure where to place this. Photos determine placement. I took a detour through a classic neighborhood where I had not been in many years, Foxcroft. In my youth Foxcroft symbolized the most elegant of suburban living. Classic homes on large lots, an example of money well and truly invested. Foxcroft was status conveyed in a single word. I was stunned to see a significant number of those homes demolished for grand new homes. A short look on the county property site shows that a few of these lots transferred one to three years ago for 850k-1.4 million and then scraped for a grand, new and more perfect edition. image.thumb.jpeg.3a2fc13619264185ad357f53ca3cdc3c.jpeg

My household historian says this is a charming New England Inn.

image.thumb.jpeg.72a2869f1a8feffb509dd252d8a7c477.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b80716092c26a6e6caedff253134342d.jpeg

This could be my college administration building.

image.thumb.jpeg.1bcc8658515ef551d84b349735ba59d7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6c327cafff998d204ed1fad56b09f0bc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ab4801ecf017c39db4946f885be18020.jpeg

As a departure from other of these with expansive fenestration this one is ready for the revolution with gun slit windows on the ground floor. Perhaps a wise choice. If that is ballistic glass I tip my hat.

image.thumb.jpeg.ac63eee300ffc67b962658ef4ff580bf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.51bcf85e18ae76c83417432f81a2b4d3.jpeg

Please note the carriage entrance on the left. "Un hotel particuliere" as the French might describe this.

image.thumb.jpeg.2f35b575a5037cf9761fddef0f853466.jpeg

Real shingle roof as seen here and on other of these new style "homes"

image.thumb.jpeg.ab804ba2615c39bb5905e626073acfcd.jpeg

There were others, this but a sample. Perhaps this is proof of my decades old impression as a treasured location for expensive homes. Pay 1mm$, build for 1.8mm$ and for 2.8mm$ one has a 3.8mm$ (++) home. Is Morrocroft next? 

The Foxcroft neighborhood remains an oasis of green and tranquility despite this on a Sunday. During the work week, unlikely to be so.

image.jpeg

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These are really beautiful houses.  With the very high-quality, roughly 5ksf homes on smallish plots, this area reminds me of Highland Park in Dallas or Bronxville in NY, though Bronxville’s homes are much older.

This is an example of Bronxville.  

275EB871-F014-434D-B314-CBE940A6215E.webp

Edited by SydneycartonII
  • Like 1

The name of that apartment building is just begging for some "Yes, mom, gay means happy" reputational comments. 

Which makes me wonder. I am so out of the apartment life conversation among young adults that I know nothing about if there is a development that has become a target location for gay residents. Something that developed organically, as management is quite unlikely to advertise in that way. I need no names just if that is a thing somewhere.

At least Charlotte  is named for a real queen unlike that other Queen City which is along a river. and yes that apartment complex is now called The Crown of the Queen City
https://www.thecrownofqueencity.com/  and that pool overlooking Morehead looked really good to me as I walked by. 

Seems like relevant time to post this as I was going to before but didn’t. I found this article funny to read.

https://www.dieinnenstadt.com/news/2016/4/6/hs604d99ka8phpwl93z71zm4yvbp1c
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 7:03 PM, JeanClt said:

Seems like relevant time to post this as I was going to before but didn’t. I found this article funny to read.

https://www.dieinnenstadt.com/news/2016/4/6/hs604d99ka8phpwl93z71zm4yvbp1c

That article.  Even the pic they chose for CLT.  Sure - one was named for the reigning queen at the time of its incorporation in 1774 in a county named in her honor from her native region 12 years prior.   And the other grasped onto the name because someone once wrote a 6 line poem with the word ‘queen’ in it like a hundred years later.  Mmmhmm.  Okay. 

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, turbocraig said:

That article.  Even the pic they chose for CLT.  Sure - one was named for the reigning queen at the time of its incorporation in 1774 in a county named in her honor from her native region 12 years prior.   And the other grasped onto the name because someone once wrote a 6 line poem with the word ‘queen’ in it like a hundred years later.  Mmmhmm.  Okay. 

Don't forget the poem was called CATAWBA Wine...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

Found this image from Apartment Guide while scrolling through Google. Thought it did a great job showing how dense and transit-oriented South End is.

d0db9e7f7fd9b785f31f9c9223f4a4a0.jpg

Love the way this look.  Has a Foreign look to it! # charlotte#thequeencity

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

No clue when it was taken. Might have been an early Sunday morning, or perhaps during some of the parts of the pandemic when not many people were moving around.

It’s definitely missing the lowes tower in the background.