Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

On 7/9/2022 at 3:39 PM, Binbin98 said:

I went on a Charlotte walking tour today with urban planet members and I enjoyed it a lot. I am living in Miami currently and it was my first time in the city. I had a really good impression although the weather is super hot.…

Many people don’t realize that the Carolinas are hotter in the summer than Miami is.

• Haha 1

True.  Unlike the rest of Florida, Miami is essentially year-round summer.  It gets occasional day time highs in the upper 60s during the winter, but most days from Dec through Feb are mid/upper 70s to the low 80s.  Thanks to the Gulf Stream, it’s the only part of mainland Florida with a tropical climate, and the vegetation reflects it.  They don’t have coconut trees and certain other palms in central (let alone northern) Florida.

Has anyone has been to Miami lately?   I was there a few weeks ago, and it is absolutely booming .  Further, it has an extreme degree of wealth that you only find in NY, SF, and LA (e.g., tons of homes in excess of $25m, Ferraris, Lambos, Rolls,  everywhere, super-fancy stores, etc.).  Also, there are massive, multi-million dollar boats EVERYWHERE.  I was struck by how ridiculously rich it is.  I’m used to granolas in Chapel Hill driving Priuses with Bernie for President stickers and proudly displaying composting equipment and mini-bee aviaries in their front yards.  

Edited by SydneycartonII
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

It really is a very well designed and elegant tower.  Truly a fantastic building to have as an anchor point for a skyline.  I know it's unlikely anything with this sort of height will be proposed in the near future or at all for some time to come, but if/when something does surpass it I hope it isn't near this beauty.  I don't want it to play second fiddle to anything in its immediate surroundings. 

• Like 4

Miami is on the coast which provides the area with a sea breeze that comes in and out make things feel slightly cooler and bearable than being inland. Areas on the coast usually have more moderate temperatures/climate as compared to inland where heat can build up fast and dissipate just as quickly. Large Bodies of water help regulate that by retaining or absorbing heat. Great Lakes area is really far inland but due to those giant lakes it creates an interesting climate.

• Like 1

I stayed in South Florida for one summer. I understood then the allure of the location but only if I lived in walking distance or maybe cycling distance of the water. Close enough to bike there with the fishing rod and bait bucket, that distance and no further. More than that was too far to enjoy the dawn and dusk experience and the breezes associated with the temperature change and the avoidance of insects which the beach location provides. Twenty miles inland and the tv shows dew point 80+ and I feel I have a wet wool sock over my face when I step outside.

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2022 at 3:31 PM, dxartist said:

Visiting family in the Midwest. Currently in Busch Stadium watching the Cardinals-Reds game in this 100° Saturday afternoon heat. 

That said, as much as I love the view of the Charlotte skyline from Truist Field, the upper deck view from Busch Stadium is simply a stunning site in person.

Obviously, this isn't a "Charlotte Photo of the Day",  but it's an absolute iconic view of downtown and the Arch.

20220716_125514.jpg

That tall glass apartment tower to the left of the arch is incredible. One Cardinal Way apartments: https://onecardinalway.com/

They have a rooftop amenity deck with absolute killer views of the ballpark. Love how they designed it to watch games from up there as well. 
612678FE-FE8D-42B3-8C6C-8A719F61DF26.thumb.jpeg.e9e9581452f1e4ae3156829a53fee6eb.jpeg

• Like 2

Recent video of construction occurring with emphasis on the Morehead Street area!

I can really see where upcoming projects on the more head corridor will help fill that gap and dropp off between uptown and south end… very exciting.
  • Like 2