Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

Found it on Google Street View

70776c3149dbeefe9d04c19b2cea50bb.png

757df9cb4c7c7529edd19a2a5709cb6e.png

That view just never gets old!
I have seen discussion on other forums (like Reddit subs on skyscrapers and cities) about how great Charlotte's skyline is. I also know a few people who visited from elsewhere and unprovoked brought up how great the skyline was. It is definitely considered by many to be an underrated gem. 

I agree, it really stands out as one of the best skylines (my favorite) ever. It often shows up in lists for best looking skylines too!
  • Like 3

That property was formerly Temple Israel from 1949 until 1992. See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Israel_(Charlotte,_North_Carolina)#:~:text=In September 1895%2C these new,%2C Benjamin Silverstein%2C and Mr.

Also here:

https://templebethel.org/about-us/history/

Note that the history refers to that portion of Morehead as Providence Road. Both congregations claim the location so that means they used the building together. Anyone clarify this for us? Temple Israel is what I recall the building.

22 hours ago, DJ8hep said:

That view just never gets old!
I agree, it really stands out as one of the best skylines (my favorite) ever. It often shows up in lists for best looking skylines too!

Yeah, looking at the list of metro areas by population I'd say Charlotte's skyline beats out that of multiple larger metro areas:

Washington (obviously)

Phoenix

Riverside CA (Inland Empire) 

Detroit

Twin Cities (maybe a tie)

Tampa

St. Louis

Whereas the only smaller metro areas I can think of that compete with Charlotte's skyline might be Austin and Pittsburgh. Charlotte punches above its weight!

• Like 4

Yeah, looking at the list of metro areas by population I'd say Charlotte's skyline beats out that of multiple larger metro areas:
Washington (obviously)
Phoenix
Detroit
Tampa
St. Louis
Whereas the only smaller metro areas I can think of that compete with Charlotte's skyline might be Austin and Pittsburgh. Charlotte punches above its weight!

I think there are some larger metros that Charlotte still beats out so I definitely agree!

Haha I like Charlotte’s skyline more than the Twin Cities skylines as I feel it has a more distinct flare!
  • Like 2

Great photos and I hope all these cranes are being secured around town with wind gusts expected up to hurricane force tomorrow and tomorrow night. 

I was just thinking that… They will have to make sure all the cranes are ready for weathervaning. We definitely don’t want any avoidable accidents to happen!
  • Like 3

When I was working the trolley, Car #85 in 2001-2004, there was a trolley issue at that very point. The single track there at the time had a short siding next to Phat Burrito building to use in case of track repair or for passing vehicle. The operation of the trolley was manual at that time including throwing the switch for the siding. Someone had used the siding for some reason and after pulling back on the line failed to stop and return to throw the switch. The next operator to move north was SUPPOSED to always LOOK ahead for switches and traffic and anything of concern. This operator apparently did not and he hit that siding switch at speed (one always creeps onto a siding with no power to wheels) and the car with the generator jumped the rails and pulled Car 85 hard left and jammed the wheels on the rail. Had to be lifted onto the rails and rail repair made. Always check the switches on the move.

Lights and signals do this for the operators now.

Incompetence is not limited to drivers of one type of vehicle.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 11:44 AM, Reverie39 said:

Washington (obviously)

Phoenix

Detroit

Tampa

St. Louis

I would add Cleveland,  Cincinnati,  Milwaukee,  St. Louis, and Orlando (not sure if it's considered larger) to that list. Also, while Boston is much denser, not sure their skyline is any better either. 

• Like 4