Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

Sad watching this happen in the distance surrounded by all the construction noise on this end of town. I’m not necessarily sad about this particular building, but I do wish we hadn’t erased all the old character from uptown. Yes we still have some, but it doesn’t feel the same as other cities that have tried to preserve their old buildings or at least the facades.  

15E296C5-9360-433D-81EC-2C5E0A158CE8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mid South NC said:

Cred: The Crown Club (Facebook page) 

The Charlotte Coliseum - 

Circa 1980something 

ps, check out the (photobomb) cute 80's CLT skyline

5169B504-BD75-4BD8-BB29-25C39D95FC38.jpeg\\

Based on the dirt patches and what appear to be a significant number of work vans, it appears this photo would be late summer 1988.  Dedication was Aug 11, 1988. 

• Like 2

Bonds for that were 60 million dollars and nearly exhausted the city borrowing capacity. I voted against because I wanted it downtown. In reality the BG expressway, park, and coliseum transformed an area that was landfill, bordering treatment plant and unusable for any other use. Look at it now. I was wrong.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Bonds for that were 60 million dollars and nearly exhausted the city borrowing capacity. I voted against because I wanted it downtown. In reality the BG expressway, park, and coliseum transformed an area that was landfill, bordering treatment plant and unusable for any other use. Look at it now. I was wrong.

I was advocating for it uptown as well but I wonder if it still would have been knocked down and rebuilt?  I came to the open house that summer my first back in Charlotte after moving from DC area. 

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, Mid South NC said:

Cred: The Crown Club (Facebook page) 

The Charlotte Coliseum - 

Circa 1980something 

ps, check out the (photobomb) cute 80's CLT skyline

5169B504-BD75-4BD8-BB29-25C39D95FC38.jpeg

I have fond memories of this place. They had real good western NC BBQ.  Now leaving after a Hornets game was a nightmare.  What was the reasoning behind building it out in the "burbs"? Especially with Harvey Gantt being mayor at the time I think. 

• Like 4

From experience: the parking area had a fence about 2/3 down the slope laterally across the lot. This to contain cars in the uphill area for events with less than capacity attendance nearer to the building. The key was to park just below this fence. After a game one could walk through the lot far faster than drive since the cars were nose to tail to escape in this uphill area. Once across the fence at one of the pedestrian openings enter the car and pull toward the downhill exit lanes. This put one well ahead of the cars parked closer to the door. A bit of a walk was worth many minutes of waiting time further uphill behind many, many more cars. One might also pull through the lot headed downhill and out via empty parking spots since those above the fence were constrained to follow only the designated exit lanes, while those below below the fence could follow a "save who may" attitude.

There was a referendum and the powers that be proposed the cheap location where a landfill and treatment plant were neighbors. I voted against because i thought it best to be downtown. The dramatic development of the area due to the Tyvola extension, the Coliseum itself, and the conversion of the fetid neighbors made a development difference. 

• Like 3

On 11/29/2022 at 1:23 PM, BJKM said:

Sad watching this happen in the distance surrounded by all the construction noise on this end of town. I’m not necessarily sad about this particular building, but I do wish we hadn’t erased all the old character from uptown. Yes we still have some, but it doesn’t feel the same as other cities that have tried to preserve their old buildings or at least the facades.  

15E296C5-9360-433D-81EC-2C5E0A158CE8.jpeg

Is 426 N tryon getting demolished?