Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

I think the American City Business Journals buildings will be redeveloped at some point as that is a large parcel and the little cigar shop and parking lot too. 

the third building to the left circled is a Panther communication data center or something like that so unlikely that goes anywhere. 

the surface parking lot is owned by Preferred parking and the cigar shop building is owned separately.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Larry Singer said:

O.K. Are you going to tell us what that is hanging from the limb? 

That is a large barn owl perched on a limb in southpark near the corner of colony and Sharon view.  The dog and I were returning from our evening walk, heard the owls hooting along the McMullen Creek floodplain, and ran into that guy in front of my house.  I estimate that owl has a 4 foot wingspan.  It is an impressive animal.  Wish I had time to take a picture of the owl before it flew up into the tree.  It was munching on squirrel or chipmunk in my yard, but it flew up to the high branches when the dog and I approached.  We have some awesome birds of prey in my neighborhood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, hinsp0 said:

That is a large barn owl perched on a limb in southpark near the corner of colony and Sharon view.  The dog and I were returning from our evening walk, heard the owls hooting along the McMullen Creek floodplain, and ran into that guy in front of my house.  I estimate that owl has a 4 foot wingspan.  It is an impressive animal.  Wish I had time to take a picture of the owl before it flew up into the tree.  It was munching on squirrel or chipmunk in my yard, but it flew up to the high branches when the dog and I approached.  We have some awesome birds of prey in my neighborhood.

Barred or barn?   We have several who frequent our land in Davidson. One snatched a chicken in front of my 6 year old daughter. Interesting day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, hinsp0 said:

Thank you for the explanation. That was certainly a cool experience. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Barred or barn?   We have several who frequent our land in Davidson. One snatched a chicken in front of my 6 year old daughter. Interesting day.

It may very well be a barred owl.  The size makes sense.  There is a group, properly referred to as a parliament, around my neighborhood.  I often hear them hooting to each other in the evenings.  They are awesome creatures and I think I will begin calling my neighborhood parliament “parliament funkadelic” because that seems a lot more upbeat than a bunch of arguing politicians with fancy accents.  I remember dissecting owl pellets full of rodent bones in 7th grade biology at Alexander Graham Middle 27 to 28 years ago.  I also remember going to a series of parliament funkadelic shows in the late 90s in the parking lots of third ward that have since been improved into Romare Bearden Park and the best venue in minor league baseball.

Edited by hinsp0
Style and nostalgia
  • Like 3