Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

That is a good shot there of the skyline to show just about the true height of Wachovia. It looks like the center core is only about 3 floors away from the top since the last known height of the tower was right in between Hearst and Bank of America.

Sadly you could not be more wrong, as this is not even close to being a straight on view of the skyline. Yes, this is a Western view of the skyline, but you have to remember the downtown streets are on at least a 45 degree angle. So you must take into account linear perspective. In reality the tower is about the height of Hearst at this moment. The Mecklenburg Country Air Quality Webcam, though also not a straight view, gives you a much better perespective in which to determine the towers height. Just looking at the model alone, I'd give it 8-10 more floors to go, 5-7 at the core.

meck_1.jpg

Edited by Guest

it's semi-illusionary, since on the ground we're only talking 2 existing blocks, but the addition of just this and Vue, will give the impression of a MUCH bigger uptown. if Charlotte wants to keep this up then they could build one more to the north :)

too many smileys

While it is very hard to imagine that it will be built, the 20-30 story tower on the Renaissance Place site at 10th and Tryon might have really lengthened the skyline on that end. But really, we can't complain about how much was added to uptown over the course of this business cycle, from a skyline perspective and a human activity perspective.

While it is very hard to imagine that it will be built, the 20-30 story tower on the Renaissance Place site at 10th and Tryon might have really lengthened the skyline on that end. But really, we can't complain about how much was added to uptown over the course of this business cycle, from a skyline perspective and a human activity perspective.

Well an Article I read in one of the Charlotte Rags mentioned that there are 4 office towers approved/being built in downtown charlotte. Two are Bank of America and Wachovia, and two are Spec, Novare and ?. I was thinking that Renaissance Place could be the tower that was the other spec, if anyone has other info please share.

The four office towers being built uptown right now are Wachovia, Bank of America, NASCAR, and 440 S Church. It is my understanding anecdotally that the Fifth Third merger is not doing well here, and they haven't yet sold their URP space, so I'm going to continue to assume that that is dead until the next business cycle.

I assume that Obama is being displayed as a evil, terrifying character. If that is the case, the display is very well done.

And that is not the case, the pumpkin wall usually displays a liberal message.

So while sitting on the couch watching TV last weekend I start to hear loud booms, only to look over and see fireworks going off. Apparently JCSU had something going on because I think it was coming from their stadium. Did anyone hear about this or know what the occasion was? Anyway, it was a nice surprise, and turned into an impressive show that lasted pretty long. Here's some pics.

10-25-08

105145041.jpg

105145038.jpg

105145028.jpg

Obama Rally Preview from tonight on UNCC campus:

(Night + Cell Phone Quality + Being forced away by Police :whistling: = Bad photos, but enjoy

n591112931_1645716_1832.jpgn591112931_1645726_2098.jpg

Wish I could be up there, but at least I was at the one a few weeks ago in Uptown...Did you all see the crowd of 80,000 he spoke to in Cleveland, OH this evening. It was cold and a little bit of rain, but he still had that many folks. How many are expected at UNCC tomorrow?

Wow, these are some fantastic photos folks! Dazzling stuff. We're so lucky at UP to get to see all this wonderful photography of our beloved Charlotte's urbanity.:)

Thanks again to all of you who have posted your pics. Lovin' them all!

*edited for spelling errors

Edited by Charlotteman

Here's a quick shot I stumbled across the other day. It's from Alleghany Rd. out near Freedom Mall.

cityviewni9.jpg

This is the view i've been waiting for! Thank you for delivering! Fantastic shot, its amazine the impact that the tower is making on downtown from certain angles. U can see the crane for the vue in this shot as well, this should give us an idea of what the skyline will look like in a couple more years.