Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

• 3 weeks later...

I guess this is the right topic for this, but came across a video last night and thought it was pretty neat. Cool images of the city you don't usually see and nice perspective on which surface lots need to be developed (like you didn't already know).

Skyline

Yeah, it did get a little depressing around the 0:22 mark, but overall, it's a great vid.

Yeah, it did get a little depressing around the 0:22 mark, but overall, it's a great vid.

Yeah overall Iwas impressed but there is still improvements that can be made. Fortunately it doesnt involove any tall towers IMO. Charlotte has impressive height now all it needs is the infill around uptown to bring all together. If that happens I would be ready to bump the QC up a notch.

Re: 0:22 mark in video and subsequent comments which I assume are all about the parking lots in the video. I think it's actually a decent "problem" for a growing city (or a city with growth ambitions) to have.

I think it is in our favor that we have enough blank canvas some real planning and design that could markedly improve the vibe of Uptown beyond Tryon St. Granted smart planning can be done with already full blocks but it is much harder.

Also as NcSc74 noted we don't really have any major issues in our skyline with the existing tall towers. We could be in a worse state and have something like this: http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/90538516.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=A7B69CF049AC9005AA51592DE4BCC5BBC78CC4B90467E196E231B4E1D96DD34E

For those who don't know that strip of Avenue of the Americas/6th Avenue, there are about 5 towers that all have basically the exact same bland design and height. Even worse, we could have the Albany Empire Plaza: http://blog.timesuni...state-plaza.jpg

I sure as heck wouldn't mind seeing some infill in those parking lots, but I don't want that at the expense of well designed and placed buildings/streetscape.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Urbanity

Yes! You are so right! Thankfully we missed most of the ugly international style superblocks or whatever it was. I like Atlanta's skyline, but downtown has those ugly seven matching beige boxes. I like Atlanta's midtown skyline better than their downtown skyline thanks to a better diversity of buildings.