Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

I guess this is the right topic for this, but came across a video last night and thought it was pretty neat. Cool images of the city you don't usually see and nice perspective on which surface lots need to be developed (like you didn't already know).

Skyline

Ya know, The Vue didn't look half bad in that video. I have a feeling it is going to be one of those towers that will really grow on a lot of people. Even with that top.

Yes! You are so right! Thankfully we missed most of the ugly international style superblocks or whatever it was. I like Atlanta's skyline, but downtown has those ugly seven matching beige boxes. I like Atlanta's midtown skyline better than their downtown skyline thanks to a better diversity of buildings.

I hope you're not talking about Peachtree Center, which is perhaps Atlanta's only example of building contributing to the urban fabric.

Meaningless motifs demanded by developers on every building today is laughable. Atlanta resembles an architectural testing site where nothing has any relationship to its neighbors.

Look at most of SOM's recent work in New York, and you'll find less decoration and more purpose. Bloomberg's headquarters is a perfect example, or 7 World Trade. The Bloomberg tower is my absolute favorite.

bloomberg.jpg

Peachtree Center has some awesome interior elements (like the atrium of the Marriott Marquis), but by God, it just absolutely sucks the life out of downtown at street level. Brutalist monstrosities tend to do that, and I'm very, very glad there's very little in Charlotte representative of that period. It's really easy to see when we boomed by sampling the architecture uptown.

• 2 weeks later...

BofA lit up in Orange for the Bobcats. Sorry for the blur. They literally shut the lights off seconds after I took this and I didn't get another chance to take another. I figured after tonight it will go back to white so tonight was my only chance to get this and I barely made it in time. The orange doesn't stand out as much as the blue, for the panthers but it still looks nice.

4557042082_d5a48e35f2.jpg

BofA lit up in Orange for the Bobcats. Sorry for the blur. They literally shut the lights off seconds after I took this and I didn't get another chance to take another. I figured after tonight it will go back to white so tonight was my only chance to get this and I barely made it in time. The orange doesn't stand out as much as the blue, for the panthers but it still looks nice.

4557042082_d5a48e35f2.jpg

Way Cool....

I always think the Charlotte Air Quality webcam has the best view of uptown. This was today's photo at dusk.

I could stare at that all night. I cant help but to wish for a partner for the Arlington. Something to stretch the skyline a bit. Im hoping southend get something substantial built to create a true second skyline for Charlotte. Then all complaints from me will be null and void.

I could stare at that all night. I cant help but to wish for a partner for the Arlington. Something to stretch the skyline a bit. Im hoping southend get something substantial built to create a true second skyline for Charlotte. Then all complaints from me will be null and void.

Let's let Atlanta and Houston build ten downtowns each-lol

I like Charlotte's tight core. One skyline is enough.

The live air quality cam shows Uptown's sterling appeal so clearly. I'm convinced the compact central city core is the way to go. Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels that way.

If I may bring up a comparison: Houston. No doubt about it---Houston is a great city. The fourth largest city in the States. And with more downtowns than Carter has pills. It takes a full panoramic just to capture "most" of them into one pic. If all of Houston's downtowns were moved to the real downtown, downtown Houston would be rivaling NYC.

I bring that up because I hope Charlotte never goes in that direction. Charlotte already has 2 downtowns anyway when you think about it. Southpark ain't exactly something to sneeze at. If all of Southpark's developments were miraculously moved into the inner loop, imagine what the result would look like. Keep Uptown Charlotte tightly packed! Sprawl sucks.

If I may bring up a comparison: Houston. No doubt about it---Houston is a great city. The fourth largest city in the States. And with more downtowns than Carter has pills. It takes a full panoramic just to capture "most" of them into one pic. If all of Houston's downtowns were moved to the real downtown, downtown Houston would be rivaling NYC.

I cannot agree with this part, being a NYC resident, all the skylines in Houston, actually lets say TEXAS, put together could never rival New York City. Houston has 300 highrises total, NYC has in excess of 6000! Houston could not even compete with Lower Manhattan. Nothing in the United States will EVER compare to New York City.

However I do agree we need to keep center city more compact and dense, although I would like South End to develop its own skyline that bridges the 277 gap, as well as midtown and elizabeth. But I suppose those are already included in the inner city area.

Let's let Atlanta and Houston build ten downtowns each-lol

I like Charlotte's tight core. One skyline is enough.

I never said that Charlotte should emulate ATL or Houston. I was stating it wouild be nice to see some height outside of uptown. I too like the tight core but then again I like to see secondary skylines also. It gives me a "city" feel to see buildings popping up out of the canopy not in the general vicinity of the cdb. How does secondary skylines relate to sprawl anyway. I would think it was a indicator of population than anything else.

I never said that Charlotte should emulate ATL or Houston. I was stating it wouild be nice to see some height outside of uptown. I too like the tight core but then again I like to see secondary skylines also. It gives me a "city" feel to see buildings popping up out of the canopy not in the general vicinity of the cdb. How does secondary skylines relate to sprawl anyway. I would think it was a indicator of population than anything else.

I agree with Charlotteman concerning the tight core comment. I think he meant the skyline looks sort of sprawled out when you have buildings outside of the main CBD. Personally, I think buildings look lonely/out of place when they are out by themselves. Secondary skylines are okay, but I hope Charlotte never has one (I don't think Southpark counts).

• 2 weeks later...

after more than a year of lurking, i was finally motivated to register an account by how far off the rails this thread has gone. contributing a poor-resolution camera-phone picture in an attempt to catalyze some on-topic posts.

img00039201004031940.jpg

taken from the 8th floor of Presbyterian.

Low Res or not, that is a beautiful picture, I too have been annoyed by this thread for a little bit, since we used to get pretty good pictures of Charlotte fairly often back in the day.

Bought a new Nikon DSLR a couple weeks ago, and the first pic I took was the worn-out view from Central Ave Bridge, one of my favorite views of the skyline. I have posted pics in this thread of it before, but now we have a few new buildings in the mix...

dsc_0035.sized.jpg

Edited by PeytonC