Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

Hey guys, some of you may remember I made a video tour of Uptown at night a few pages back. Well, I just finished another tour of some of the inner core neighborhoods like part of Myers Park, Midtown/Metropolitan, and South End. I'm also planning on doing a tour of Myers Park, South Park, and Ballantyne during the day and NoDa at night.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Great video the skyline shot gave me chills. Im so proud of Charlotte, that video has tilted me toward moving there when I return to NC. Right now its a dead heat between Charlotte and the its evil sibling RALEIGH lol.

Does anyone have some more photos of this site? Have they only knocked down this building? Or is there some visible work for the underground parking garage and park?

I can't quite tell what work is what on these blocks - they are making what looks like a formal entry to the UNCC building - but I'm not sure if it's part of the park. The demo of the brick building is far enough from the UNNC building that it must be part of the park project... I assume...

• 1 month later...

^I suppose that sidewalk along Brevard is closer to the future level of the street. Brevard should be raised a bit in order to better connect with a rebuilt 8th Street over the parking deck.

Yeah I was a little disappointed when I first saw it but I think its a temporary solution. Do you know when that road work is supposed to happen? I thought the park construction was due to start any time now since they demolished the 1 remaining building on the site.

Yeah I was a little disappointed when I first saw it but I think its a temporary solution. Do you know when that road work is supposed to happen? I thought the park construction was due to start any time now since they demolished the 1 remaining building on the site.

I posted several months ago that this was going o be one ugly building. If fits in with other ugly ones like Imagion, Silo condos, and the condos near the arena that are about four years old. If this is 'modern architecture', give me the old fashioned brick and glass stuff.

Edited by caterpillar2

I posted several months ago that this was going o be one ugly building. If fits in with other ugly ones like Imagion, Silo condos, and the condos near the arena that are about four years old. If this is 'modern architecture', give me the old fashioned brick and glass stuff.

I don't care for the actual color/opacity of the glass so am a little disappointed at the result, but I still like the building overall and think it will be awesome once poking out of the new park's tree canopy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks! We talked about the park when we were up there. If you look closely at Mint Street, you can see the fresh blacktop where it's about to be converted into a two-way road. I'm surprised there hasn't been more press/signage about the change, it looks like the two-way will open any day now.

• Like 1

I flew in and out of Charlotte last Wednesday and last night. Skyline, gorgeous, except I would like for the Duke Energy tower to only be lit in white light. The pink and purple blinking show last night was ridiculous. It ruins the elegance of the entire skyline in my opinion.

Also, CLT needs to plant some grass and do some landscaping to hide all of the red clay around the runways. It looks awful. Compare CLT to Atlanta and even more so, RDU where it's beautifully landscaped with shrubs, grass and with a backdrop of uninterrupted pine trees.

CLT is so busy, and between the lackluster appearance of the terminals and the airfield, it doesn't look good for Charlotte and North Carolina.

If nothing else, I would replace the ceiling tiles and carpet in the terminals, then plant some grass to cover the exposed areas of dirt/red clay around the runways.

I flew in and out of Charlotte last Wednesday and last night. Skyline, gorgeous, except I would like for the Duke Energy tower to only be lit in white light. The pink and purple blinking show last night was ridiculous. It ruins the elegance of the entire skyline in my opinion.

Also, CLT needs to plant some grass and do some landscaping to hide all of the red clay around the runways. It looks awful. Compare CLT to Atlanta and even more so, RDU where it's beautifully landscaped with shrubs, grass and with a backdrop of uninterrupted pine trees.

CLT is so busy, and between the lackluster appearance of the terminals and the airfield, it doesn't look good for Charlotte and North Carolina.

If nothing else, I would replace the ceiling tiles and carpet in the terminals, then plant some grass to cover the exposed areas of dirt/red clay around the runways.

While I can't speak for everyone, I can certainly tell you the airport is under heavy construction at the moment and probably doesn't look it's best. Give it another year or two and I'm sure you'll have a different opinion.

As far as the Duke tower is concerned, I can't disagree more. Charlotte has a great skyline but was always lacking a uniqueness that I believe the many colors of that tower now brings. Its also a handy indicator of what is going on downtown. Orange and blue = bobcats game. Green = sometimes means uncc game. Red and white/gray = checkers game. Blue = panthers game. Plus if I remember correctly they lit it up like an Xmas tree at Christmas. Anyways, I enjoy it.

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 2

^^ You speak pretty well for me!

I can't think of anyone I met resident or visitor who haven't remarked on how much they like the Duke Tower's colors!

As for the issues at the airport - I think we all agree that the airport is undergoing some major expansion and construction and citing about red clay at the edge of the runways is sort of strange.