Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

awesome yet kind of heart breaking...  So many early 20th century 2/3 story brick buildings If only more could've survived urban renewal.
I would all love to have back as small businesses, bars cafes, shops etc scattered in between the vertical glass, steel and concrete of today.

• Like 1

These are great pictures! Where is the one with the flowers and the Esso station? It seems familiar but I can't place it.

Wow, I've never seen older photos of downtown from a tower perspective. This photo looks to be Queens/Hawthorne looking up towards Presbyterian. 

s_v13akncfz2w0008.jpg

This is Old Convention Center now Epicentre and the LIght Rail is on the right. Ritz across from Dirt lot, and Arena on other side of tracks from that and bus shelter towards the camera on other side of the tracks.

Edited by Guest

I think this is looking south with South Blvd (Hwy 74 at time of photo) on the left and S Tryon on the right. 74 turns right in the photo where what is now Carson Blvd is. You can see the Charlotte Housing Authority tower near that curve that was just renovated across from World of Beer.

What I can't figure out is what looks like a railroad truss crossing College (?) Street, or the giant building in the foreground.

You'll be hard pressed to see these two names in the same photo anymore...

s_v13akncfz2w0286.jpg

I think this is looking south with South Blvd (Hwy 74 at time of photo) on the left and S Tryon on the right. 74 turns right in the photo where what is now Carson Blvd is. You can see the Charlotte Housing Authority tower near that curve that was just renovated across from World of Beer.

What I can't figure out is what looks like a railroad truss crossing College (?) Street, or the giant building in the foreground.

The Charlotte OBserver...? The Rest would have been lost to 277

Ignore that I'm all turned around with this picture. I think you are right that this would be college st. 

6637161853_2808149dee_o.jpg

you can see where the spur wentover here. Looks like it didn't go anywheres.

Charlotte_Main_Business_District_of_Charlotte_NC_1958.jpg 

Edited by Guest

I think that is part of the line that went over to the Observer building and up into wesley heights.

• Like 1

^ you're welcome.  These were among several boxes of slides that I had digitally converted.  They were taken in 1971 when I was doing a environmental project for my 10th grade science class.  I got access to the roof of NCNB and the First Union towers.  There were a lot of changes occurring during that era as Urban Renewal was in it's heyday.  I-77 was being extended north from Woodlawn, and the first vestiges of inner loop ( now the Brookshire) was being poured from Independence to I-77 & further up to I-85.  What I find interesting are the major game changing  projects that were being built ( the Odell designed Civic Center and the private/public Trade Mart on College,) both of which were mere memories within 20 years...