Name an emerging neighborhood

atlrvr

As mentioned on the South End page, there is an area that is currently industrial without an identity. The rough border are Remount Rd. to the north, South Blvd to the east, S. Tryon to the West, and Old Pineville/Yancy Rd to the south.

Currently these areas are categorized by the city as Southside Park (which 100% of the residential is outside of this newly defined area) and as York Road (which has less 200 people in it on Peterson, Cama, and Yorkshire). So essentially, this area will go from a population of about 150 people, to about 3,000 people. This deserves its own identity.

I propose letting everyone contribute a name in this thread, then creating a poll, and the result of that poll will be the "officially branded" Urban Planet name for that area which will be used in the future to discuss this area and its project. Hopefully it will catch on by casual use such as.

"Hey, I'm thinking about buying a home in "urbanville".

"Where is that?"

"Umm, just south of Remount, back behind the Pepsi plant...you seriously don't know where "urbanville" is? You've lived in this city how long?"

"17 years"

"Wow...you must live pretty far out then, everyone knows "urbanville" "

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, an ethnic name only works for the most part if that particular ethnicity actually lives there. Will there be a hispanic community here? Further down South Boulevard there are a large amount but I don't think La Estacion would work here. I give you credit for the idea though.

Since I so love how Charlotte developers have mis-named other urban projects with suburban names or with cutsy names to imitate SoHo, why diverge now?

How about:

The Crossings at Remount Point

SoBull (combining South Boulevard -- like NoDa)

SoSoEnd (South of SouthEnd)

DilField since it is between Dilworth and Sedgefield

or just make something up, like they did with Arysley...something Scottish, people always love Scottish names. Maybe Moot Pointe

:)

IMO, an ethnic name only works for the most part if that particular ethnicity actually lives there. Will there be a hispanic community here? Further down South Boulevard there are a large amount but I don't think La Estacion would work here. I give you credit for the idea though.

Isn't the old movie theater sign that the neighborhood wanted to keep for a landmark right at the station there? Isn't it the QP sign? Queens Park? maybe the neighborhood is Queens Park. I don't really like that name, but I think that people would know where it is if you explained it.

My thoughts:

"New Bern" - The name of the focal point of the neighborhood, the LRT station, and a street in the neighborhood.

"Youngblood" - A memorable streetname in the neighborhood.

"Southside Park" - It might work if it is between 77 and South Blvd, but '___side' tend to have connations as being dangerous places, as they seem to be in the movies (Eastside, Westside, Southside, ....)

"SouthEnd" - I think you could make a case for extending the boundaries to encompass this area. SouthEnd was used to describe 3030 South's location, and we always talk about this area in our Southend thread on UP.

"Sedgeville" - Sedgefield is the suburban neighborhood next to this area, so Sedgeville would be the village next to the field.

But I don't know. None of them seem to stick for me.

Dexter Point - Poindexter re-ordered

Sedgemount - Sedgefield/Remount

BernBlood - New Bern/Youngblood

I also like Queen's park if it can include the area from Remount to Scaleybark, between South (or east of South) to Tryon.

Lol- whoever said SoBull. I would feel like we'd have to put up Sobe and Red Bull flags everywhere. Here's my names:

-Midpoint : It's like the midpoint on the LRT to uptown, somewhat.

-South Advance: Kind of commemerates to the development of the area.

-Boulevard Prosperity: Again, thinking of a relationship to growth, and how the train made S. Blvd. drastically change in just 2-3 years.

-Tradev : Train and Development

Names are good if they have some kind of meaning or history behind it. This area is quite difficult to name, just b/c the history of the area is a blur.

I think the area should be called Clayboro... it mixes Clanton + the 'Y' and 'B' from YoungBlood and the 'OR' from York and an O at the end meaning "Oh! This neighborhood has a new name" ;) (Maybe ClayBern if not Clayboro?)

or if that is too out there... SoutherEnd

Yes. SouthEnd is actually more rigidly defined than most neighborhoods because there is a special tax assessment in the district. 'Historic South End' is rougly between Tryon, Remount, Belk Freeway and South Boulevard. It also includes most of the parcels fronting South Blvd on the east side, and a few parcels that Dilworth didn't want, namely the public housing project and Lowe's Home Improvement.

After writing all that, I realized that a picture speaks a thousand words:

http://www.historicsouthend.com/HSE_map.htm

It was originally built as the industrial part of Dilworth, and some old skool people still call it that. But just as Atlrvr's wrote in his setup for this thread, it has such a different identity and direction than Dilworth, it is appropriate for it to have a different name.

Archived