Name an emerging neighborhood

atlrvr

How about instead "I am planning to buy a house near New Burn Station." (which is how it's done in a lot of places with transit lines) I am not sure that another made up name that has no basis in history or events that happened in the past really means that much. NoDa, Soda, Lat Te Da, SpauHaus, MICKEY MOUSE, etc. bleh. lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Queens Park or New Bern. I think New Bern will have a more positive branding because it has three things going for it: 1) It's the name of a reasonably attractive historic site in NC 2) It's the name of a train station, which will be more widely known than the old QP sign 3) QP will remind people of Queens in NYC, and ______ Park is not a chic formula for community names.

Having said all that, I think Queens Park is a more authentic name and I'd rather it stick in the long run. It would help tremendously if there was an actual park nearby...

To me, Queens Park seems so bland and unimaginative - we already have so many "Queens" this or that in Charlotte already. I know that theater was Queens Park Theater, but still, something without "Queens" in it would be nice. That's just my opinion.

Ok, I've turned this into a poll.....we're looking for a majority vote, so if I need to, I'll eliminate a couple of choices if we can't get a majority with 5 choices.

Hopefully, we will use the selected name in addressing this area going forward.

honestly, queen park works the best. however, i personally enjoy more quirky, memorable names for areas - that make you say WTF.

i will throw one out.

many years ago i worked @ the record exchange on south blvd. we were often frequented by area vagrants (we actually even started a polaroid photo collection of all of them). one of our favorites was this big burly guy who would come in all soft spoken and what not.... but, if you got him started he would bust out in a wild rant. he was fun to listen to and when you had enough and let him know - he would leave. we nicknamed him the "south blvd. strangler" - not to his face of course. (oddly enough - the "strangler" had a deep love for beach boys music).

one day one of our employees got the bright idea to follow him... they found out he camped out near the tracks, close to the old queen park theatre. so, in that spirit i would propose calling the area "stranglers pass" :) i know that would never fly in the marketing/branding world but it's definently a "WTF" kind of name name.

this is also coming from a guy who claims to live in midwood canyon.

Archived