Name an emerging neighborhood

atlrvr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking about this one recently because not long ago I had to tell someone about this area, and I couldnt think of what to call it- so the first thing that came to mind was that it was around the New Bern LRT station. Once I explained that, the person I was talking to immediately understood.

I think that while Queen Park is the historically accurate name, with so much new development we may end up seeing that fade into history infavor of New Bern Station. New Bern will be used to sell property, houses, restaurants, businesses, etc. Also, New Bern, unlike the other LRT stations, is not named for a significant road. In fact, they don't get less significant than New Bern Street. So, I think that will only add to the uniqueness of that area since it is less likely to be confused with anyhting else in Charlotte.

My thought is that many new Charlotteans, such as myself, won't know the proper historic names and will default to the most obvious and/or most easily understood by others (especially since so many "others" are not local. I appriciate what y'all are trying to do here, I just think it might be an uphill fight.

Archived