Robert Kozminski

Veloise

"Members of the public are invited to an around-the-clock visitation for slain Grand Rapids Police Officer Robert Kozminski beginning at 2 p.m. today until 8 a.m. Friday, police announced this morning. "

I had a hunch this was coming, or that they would need to move him to DVP with the "Our" Ford stanchioned lines.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Members of the public are invited to an around-the-clock visitation for slain Grand Rapids Police Officer Robert Kozminski beginning at 2 p.m. today until 8 a.m. Friday, police announced this morning. "

I had a hunch this was coming, or that they would need to move him to DVP with the "Our" Ford stanchioned lines.

Stop by GRPD if you can, visit the memorial there. I believe that it is also open 'round the clock (someone was talking to the civilian at the desk, who mentioned "the next three nights").

Incredible display of professional floral tributes, a huge pile of cellophane-wrapped Kroger bouquets, hand-picked arrangements from folks' back yards, school drawings for "Officer Bobby," sympathy cards from major media outlets and police forces and citizens, and artifacts. There's a jersey from the police memorial bicycle tour. Several U-M shirts. A photo of that year's police cadet grad class. Several chairs for seated reflection. And a guest book.

Unlike the GRF shrine, this stuff is neatly arrayed on black-draped tables. The lobby smells, well, heavenly, thanks to the probably 100 floral pieces.

So I sat at my desk at work and did the same thing as in January. WZZM had the best coverage and the most resilient webcast. The sea of police cars...the uniforms...the line of officers depositing a glove on the casket...their faces as they listened to the broadcast of the "officer down" announcement...the rifles, the bagpipes, Taps...wow.

Anyone else hold the opinion that GRF's events sure helped in our local training and planning? I hope we don't get any better at holding huge state funerals for people too young to have died.

I agree with you on WZZM's coverage, Veloise. The ending clip they showed made me tear up and cry. You could tell Juliet was having a very tough time trying not to break down and cry on TV. When I flipped the channel over to channel 8, the ending clip seemed bland and I didn't like the song they chose.

I was on Leonard street at about a quarter after five and got caught in the funeral precession. I've never seen so many cop cars in my life. There were hundreds of them from all over the state. That alone told me how tightly nit fellow police officers are. I've got to respect that.

• 7 months later...

Trial coverage...

Just the preliminary details indicate that this will be over quickly. I have a little bit of sympathy for attorneys assigned to defend "fish in a barrel" cases. (The defendant is an expert marksman, upset over his then-pending divorce. Had a restraining order stipulating no alcohol, stay away from the family home, no guns. Threatened to shoot his family, told the now ex-wife that if she called the cops there would be a shoot-out. Pulled the trigger to shoot through the door, for five minutes hung out in the garage, deciding to leave when he heard "gurgling." At least the ex won't have to visit him in prison.)

Of course, much more sympathy for Koz' family, both related and extended.

Archived