Route 11 Might Get Finished After All!

drc72

Looks like plans are in the works to get this thing done finally!!!

SALEM, Conn. -- Where Route 11 comes to an abrupt end at Route 82 in Salem may actually be just an exit ramp, as originally planned 50 years ago.

The limited-access highway runs through Salem and Waterford and stops at Route 82. Construction stopped in 1972 because of funding.

READ ON.........

http://www.wfsb.com/news/13665436/detail.html

• 1 month later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way this gets done,just like rte 6,nimbys will find some stinkin law firm that will do anything to stop 11 from going through.As a matter of fact I read a letter to op-ed page in the Courant not long ago by someone from the Sierra Club and she was totally opposed to the road being finished.I took her words to mean they'll fight any new road construction with zeal.

Most people that live in Salem and Waterford and towns along Route 85 that would be benefiting from a Route 11 expansion actually want it completed. Route 85 is a death trap, something along the levels of Suicide 6.

As for the environmentalists, they complain about everything. They should just be happy it got converted into a "greenway" instead of a sprawled out extension of the sprawled out highway it is now. (By sprawl, I mean the excessive clearing of a large right of way)

EDIT: And shouldn't this be moved to the general Conn. chat section, instead of being in Greater Hartford?

Most people that live in Salem and Waterford and towns along Route 85 that would be benefiting from a Route 11 expansion actually want it completed. Route 85 is a death trap, something along the levels of Suicide 6.

As for the environmentalists, they complain about everything. They should just be happy it got converted into a "greenway" instead of a sprawled out extension of the sprawled out highway it is now. (By sprawl, I mean the excessive clearing of a large right of way)

EDIT: And shouldn't this be moved to the general Conn. chat section, instead of being in Greater Hartford?

I think there's enough momentum now to finish Route 11. Greater New London will benefit from having a direct expressway connection to Route 2 and greater Hartford. Route 85 will only get busier, more congested, and more dangerous if nothing is done.

This is one of two expressways that need to be finished in Connecticut. The other -- in my view -- is Route 25 in Fairfield County. I know plans to extend the expressway are (currently) shelved. I also know that ConnDOT is planning to remove the exit ramp off I-84 originally designed for the Route 25 expressway. However, I think Route 25 and Route 34 are becoming too congested and dangerous, especially with commercial traffic traveling between I-84 and I-95. Fairfield County needs a direct expressway connection between I-84 and I-95. Newtown be damned.

Having worked around the RT25/Monroe/Newtown area in the past, and recently working in the Salem/Montville/Waterville area, I'd say both areas could benefit from the expressways. It's funny, the people that don't want the highway are the first that complain when the "fabric" of their towns area destroyed by all that traffic on the local roadways.

I think there's enough momentum now to finish Route 11. Greater New London will benefit from having a direct expressway connection to Route 2 and greater Hartford. Route 85 will only get busier, more congested, and more dangerous if nothing is done.

This is one of two expressways that need to be finished in Connecticut. The other -- in my view -- is Route 25 in Fairfield County. I know plans to extend the expressway are (currently) shelved. I also know that ConnDOT is planning to remove the exit ramp off I-84 originally designed for the Route 25 expressway. However, I think Route 25 and Route 34 are becoming too congested and dangerous, especially with commercial traffic traveling between I-84 and I-95. Fairfield County needs a direct expressway connection between I-84 and I-95. Newtown be damned.

I would rather see the Route 25 expressway being completed than the Route 11 one. The only problem is, Newtown will probably complain and we'll never see it. Especially if more money keeps moving into town. Route 34 is a pretty horrible road, and as much truck traffic as possible needs to be taken off of it, especially north of Route 188 in Seymour with the dam right above it. If I'm heading towards Milford or Orange from the north at night, I end up taking 25 to 15/95 anyway.

The other one I would like to see completed is the Super 7 from Norwalk to New Milford. But, you know, Wilton will just complain because that's all Wilton is good for anyways. The right of way is already purchased, there's no buildings or anything that need to be taken out. All that requires is the road to be built ... and yet the NIMBYs ... good grief, that's all they make. I once drove during AM rush from Danbury to Norwalk, it took over an hour for something approximately 25 miles. The only time this road is ever clear is at 1 am, and then Wilton Police is waiting to make your drive hell anyway.

Archived