The Forum-Augusta

CanukInAugusta

I didn't see another thread for The Forum-Augusta, so I started one.

Here's an article in today's Augusta Chronicle about the proposed center:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/07120....shtml#comments

The commercial availability signs on Walton Way Extension don't mean an Atlanta developer has given up on The Forum-Augusta, a commercial and residential project next to Interstate 20 and the Foxhall neighborhood.

The Blanchard and Calhoun Commercial Corp. signs went up over the weekend.

"Part of our discussion is that maybe there's a component of our project they could do. One of the principals in Blanchard and Calhoun is looking at that, so it makes sense for the sign to be up," said Ron Pfohl, a managing member for Atlanta-based Forum Development Group. "We control the property and have every intention to move forward."

The developer has the 46 acres under contract with property owners Nixon Trusts and Roger Graham and should complete the purchase by the end of the year, Mr. Pfohl said.

Construction could start in early 2008 with an opening in the fall.

Mr. Pfohl said his company has several "key tenants" under consideration.

Calls to Blanchard and Calhoun were not returned Wednesday.

Forum-Augusta will be a "Main Street" development with restaurants and specialty retail stores on the ground level. There will be condominiums and rental apartments above the stores. The development also includes townhomes. Mr. Pfohl said the residential prices are still being determined.

There is a small portion of office space in the plans, but that could increase if there is enough demand, Mr. Pfohl said.

The Forum initially was proposed in 2006 as a 300,000-square-foot lifestyle shopping center. Office space and more than 160 residential units were added to the developer's plans earlier this year in response to the Augusta Mall's securing retailers for its expansion.

The Augusta Commission in April approved a modification to the area's rezoning to allow for the plan changes. The developer sued the city in 2006 and was backed up by a judge to get the zoning initially changed.

Mr. Pfohl did not disclose the anticipated cost of the Augusta project.

According to city records, Nixon Trusts was able to purchase the acreage at the corner of I-20 and Walton Way Extension over the past few years for a combined $1.1 million.

Forum Development completed a 580,000 -square-foot mixed-use development in north Atlanta last year.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Resturants & specialty retail stores on the ground level with condominiums & rental apartments above sounds like manhattan. The townhomes should make a nice decison to the project.

I-20 wont never look the same again. 46 acres is alot for developers to play with

Traffic on I-20 will get alot worse with this development. Walton way ext will not be so pleasant either since the new on & exit ramps will lead to augusta exchange & the forum augusta. I hope warren road is getting on or exit ramps to help with the traffic.

305579.jpg

I think the wheeler town park will be about 2 miles from the forum on I-20. I know there is some gated acres on both sides of wheeler rd I-20. One on the I-20 west closer to columbia county by the sprint gas station. The other on I-20 east by i think a shell gas station on the richmond county side right before doctors hospital.

• 9 months later...

Augusta firm to oversee retail-residential project

28-acre gated apartment complex and 9 acres of retail space.

An Atlanta group has backed out of a proposed retail-residential development along Walton Way Extension. The 44-acre project, which was once known as The Forum-Augusta, is now completely under the control of Blanchard and Calhoun Commercial Corp., which was brought in to assist Forum Development Group in July.

Changes to the project received a favorable nod by the Augusta-Richmond County Planning Commission on Monday. The matter will go before the Augusta Commission on May 20. What started as a 300,000-square-foot retail lifestyle center with condos on top of retail stores is now a 75,000-square-foot retail development fronting Walton Way Extension with a 330-unit apartment complex behind it.

The 330 apartments will be separated into 12 buildings, explained John Lee with Blanchard and Calhoun. The units will be one to three bedrooms with rents ranging between $1,000 to $1,100 per month.

"The units are high-end. They have nine-foot ceilings, crown molding, ceramic tile," said Mr. Lee. The gated complex will have a pool, fitness center, club house and wireless internet.

The retail portion on the site will encompass three buildings. Tenants were not announced. Mr. Senn said design work should conclude in the fall, when the site work should begin. The project should be ready 16 months after it starts.

Archived