Mississauga Skyline

BrandonTO416

Mississauga is the western suburb of Toronto just east of the city, for those unfamiliar with the Toronto area.

The city has a lot of buildings going up, and a lot already completed. Here are a few photos of interest.

I did not take these photos, but they appear to be photos taken earlier this year in February.

Looking toward downtown approx 30 miles across the end of Lake Ontario from St Catherines:

p291361977-5.jpg

Central Mississauga:

Miss5.jpg

Miss6.jpg

Miss11.jpg

On the 403 heading toward the city centre:

Miss12.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mississauga is the western suburb of Toronto just east of the city, for those unfamiliar with the Toronto area.

The city has a lot of buildings going up, and a lot already completed. Here are a few photos of interest.

I did not take these photos, but they appear to be photos taken earlier this year in February.

Looking toward downtown approx 30 miles across the end of Lake Ontario from St Catherines:

p291361977-5.jpg

Central Mississauga:

Miss5.jpg

Miss6.jpg

Miss11.jpg

On the 403 heading toward the city centre:

Miss12.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I just went on a vacation last week to Niagara falls. We decided to do a day trip to Toronto by way of the QEW. I had no idea there were so many big cities off the QEW like Hamilton and Mississauga. Very impressive. I got some good photos of Toronto from the CN tower I would like to share in the Canada forum. Mississauga is very impressive. Leaving Toronto you can see it off in the distance and it looks very huge.

• 3 months later...

That skyline is amazing. It's so strange how these cities look so big and yet are hardly ever heard of. I remember going through Ontario a couple of years ago and seeing the skylines of Mississauga and I think Hamilton and just being amazed. I don't know if the populations are actually that high, but they seemed to be built very dense, unlike most US cities.

• 2 months later...

LOL, I'm just now realizing in the first part of the thread I said the west suburb east of the city. Correction: Its the western GTA suburb west of downtown. ;)

For those of you comparing Mississuaga to New York or Chicago, be very careful. If you look at the layout and the aerials you can clearly see these are suburban highrises. At the bottom of the towers its very green, set back from the road, and suburban in nature. But yes, its still an amazing area.

Mississauga is undergoing a major growth spurt still today, and they have a master plan to create a cohesive downtown area.

BUT, one thing I've always said is that Canadian suburbia is so interesting compared to American suburbs. There's really nothing like it in the US even in Chicago, New York, or San Francisco. I was in San Francisco last summer hoping that Berkeley, Oakland, San Jose would inspire me. Really compared to Canadian suburbs they still suck.

But, alas, its Canada. Just different all around. ;)

I do give props to San Francisco, it has a cleaner Canadian feel to it than Chicago or New York. So San Jose, Redwood City, Berkeley are far superior to Schaumburg, IL or Asscrack, NJ.

But Mississauga is clearly not an average suburb. Its centre city area is larger than Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Denver, Minneapolis, and several other cities' downtowns.

Toronto's downtown all the way up to Yonge and Eglinton is clearly the major center and heart of the region, but Mississauga is the 2nd largest city centre in the GTA.

Third largest is North York, which is now part of the city of Toronto.

North York City Centre, 14km (8.5 miles) north of downtown Toronto:

NorthYork.jpg

Walking in North York is an urban experience, and its along the TTC's main subway line:

img04594cy.jpg

Canadian suburbs have a nice feel to them. :)

On a smaller scale, Scarborough City Centre is another Toronto area that is growing, albeit it looks smaller than the others.

126473016_cea724f136_b.jpg

The highlight of Scarborough Centre is the Ellipse condo development that opened 2 years ago:

ellipse.jpg

scarborough_condos.jpg

The Ellipse had some very affordable condos to be in a major market. They originally were selling 1 bedroom condos for $170,000 CDN although right now the market in Toronto has escalated so fast that you can't find one for less than $250,000.

Toronto has only one competitor to highrises: New York. Chicago has far fewer overall (although its downtown is much larger and taller than Toronto) and the California two just don't compare.

Luckily, New York and Toronto are vastly different. There's almost no comparison, Manhattan is huge, massive, and dense. Its the king of the America's.

But, I while I love to visit New York I would never live there. Toronto is a pretty nice place to live.

• 3 months later...

Archived