Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cocateho

the civic center: good, bad, or just plain ugly

Savannah civic center, good or bad   12 members have voted

1. 1. should savannah keep the civic center or demolish it and build a better looking one in its place

• keep it
    • demolish it and build a new one to fit in with downtown

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 posts in this topic

ok i was thinking the other day about how ugly the savannah civic center is and how it totally doesnt fit at all with the rest of the city so i decided to see what yalls thoughts on this were and if you, like me, think they should demolish and rebuild it as a better looking building with more class to fit downtown.

Heres what I figure, The way Savannah is growing, and the demand the public has had and will have in the near future, will call for more types of events... and plain and simple the civic center isn

Tear it down, restore Elbert Square and build one that fits in architecturally in the downtown area.

:offtopic: I'd also like to see a similar replacement of the county courthouse and the restoration of Liberty Square. Heck, tear down that ugly bathroom tile federal building and replace it too.

That's city hall, specifically. Big debate is raging here about refurbishing the gold dome. Some think it's too costly. Personally, it's one of Savannah's icons, so I support it.

The Civic Center is old & outdated. I'd love to see it connected somehow to the Trade & Convention Center on Hutchinson Is, but barring that, I'd say move it to the westside, maybe by the airport. The land it currently sits on should definately be restored to the original squares that once were there.

That's city hall, specifically. Big debate is raging here about refurbishing the gold dome. Some think it's too costly. Personally, it's one of Savannah's icons, so I support it.

The Civic Center is old & outdated. I'd love to see it connected somehow to the Trade & Convention Center on Hutchinson Is, but barring that, I'd say move it to the westside, maybe by the airport. The land it currently sits on should definately be restored to the original squares that once were there.

the civic center is def. a downtown thing i see no reason it should be all the way out on westside or by the airport, that just doesnt make any sense. personally i think a good spot for it would be on pres. st. on the south side across from the river landing. if they put it over there i think it would be nice to have some more modern achitectural influencese going on, nothing outrageous, but it would be nice to see a little more glass in savannah

For those of us who can't see the Civic Center in person, could someone post a picture of it for our viewing pleasure!! :D

I'd love to vote also!

ITS JUS UGLY.. DEMOLISH IT.. BUILD AN ARENA I WITHER EAST OR WEST OF DOWNTOWN AND RESTORE THE SQUARES.. THEY MAKE SAVANNAH SAVANNAH.

When you say squares are you referring to buildings that are box shaped or something else?

The Civic Center was built on top on a former square (city park).

I'm 100% for demolishing the ugly outdated structure we know as the Savannah Civic Center and building a new, modern ARENA capable of having big name artists & bands, as well as many more multiple uses. There has been talk of constructing this new structure on Gwinnett Street just west of the I-16 flyovers. (Not the one on MLK everyone thinks about)

This is an ideal area, especially when they widen Gwinnett Street to 4 lanes (and hopefully keep it similar to roads in the historic district but with more capacity)

I also like the idea someone posted earlier about restoring the square and having some nice development around that newly restored square.